Need advice about replacing 2012 iMac with new MacBook

Reaction score
My 2012 iMac has 16 G memory, 2.8 gHz speed, and a 1.12TB Storage Fusion Drive. Of that 1.04 is available. As I understand it that means I have used 80 GB.

If I were to get a silicon MacBook when they come out would 8 GB RAM and 256 GB storage hold what I have? If that is the basic setup as I have read it is likely to be, would be sufficient?

I don't make videos or do gaming except for Bejeweled Blitz.

(Please be gentle, I am no youngster.)

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We really do not know much about what will be available as far as memory or storage is concerned for the new silicon MacBook Pro. We may not know anything definitive until later this year or possibly next year.

But based on your current usage, what you have now would fit. However, it's always best to buy more than what you think you need now. As software becomes more powerful and occupies more drive space, it's always best to plan ahead.

Anyway, we are all being a bit premature about what Apple will provide for the newer Macs. We will just have to wait and see.

As long as your iMac is working okay and you're satisfied with its performance, keep using it for now and take a wait and see attitude for the newer Macs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I were to get a silicon MacBook when they come out would 8 GB RAM and 256 GB storage hold what I have? If that is the basic setup as I have read it is likely to be, would be sufficient?

Sounds like from what was mentioned...you're not using very much internal storage...thus 256 GB of internal storage in a new Apple portable (MacBook) will probably be ok. And based on many previous model MacBook Pro's and MacBook Air's...it may be possible to upgrade the internal storage on a new silicon MacBook (but we won't know for sure until it's released).

As far as RAM. If I was purchasing a brand new Apple portable...I wouldn't go with less than 16 GB of RAM. RAM will very likely not be upgradeable (since RAM has not been upgradeable for a long time with Apple portable's).

I've been recommending folks get 8 GB of RAM as an absolute minimum for a long time (since probably 2012)). You might be ok with 8 GB of RAM...but 16 GB of RAM would be better...since I would guess you'll be keeping this silicon MacBook for at least 5 years (probably more)...thus 16 GB of RAM could be more necessary in the future.

Remember...RAM very likely won't be upgradeable...thus you got to configure the computer with as much RAM as it will ever need at time of purchase.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Whoopie
Reaction score
Thanks, that's helpful; I will plan to order one with 16GB of RAM. I want to be ready to order on November 17th or whenever orders can be placed. My iMac is showing its age. Between iCloud, Dropbox ,and Google Photos most everything is backed up but I am eager to get a laptop...and perhaps keep the iMac as long as it works afterwards. I won't wait another year for the Silicon iMac if it isn't announced next month and the rumor mill indicates that it is unlikely to be, because my iMac might not make it that long and I need a reliable computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
(Please be gentle, I am no youngster.)

With that comment in mind, I would question if you really want or need a mobile Mac, and especially considering the smaller screen size you will end up with. And also, the mobile units are usually substantially more expensive.

- Patrick
=======

OP
Whoopie
Reaction score
I had Macbooks for years and eventually decided to get a desktop, in part because iPads were invented and could be used when we visited family or vacationed; and in part because the bigger screen is wonderful. However this particular 21 inch iMac is failing, and I can't see getting the new intel 27 inch iMac (it is too big!), and the smaller iMac has not been upgraded. I don't think I can wait for the Silicon 24/25 inch iMac. I might decide to keep the laptop as my only computer, or I might give it to a grandchild when the new desktops come out if the small screen is too hard for long periods of use. I agree that desktops are a better value and last longer. Actually, my laptops lasted for years, because in those long-ago days, parents did not stow computers beneath the couch where children could mishandle them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.