need a good corded keyboard for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mini 16gig/Air 2017 4gig
Anyone know a for sure works, good minimal keyboard that runs on USB cord or Thunderbolt3/4. Don't want a wireless keyboard. I see the Apple Magic
but cant tell if it runs on a cord.thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The Apple Magic Keyboard is wireless, or wired. The charging cord connects from the Mac, to the keyboard.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The Apple Magic Keyboard is wireless, or wired. The charging cord connects from the Mac, to the keyboard.

456 might not like the system requirements for that keyboard:
System Requirements
Mac with Apple silicon using macOS 11.4 or later
USB-C to Lightning Cable
Lightning port connection

They might prefer one of the Matias corded keyboards:

Legacy Mac OS support.
The Matias Wired Aluminum Keyboard is compatible with Mac OS X all the way back to version 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

Matiasn Wired Aluminum Keyboard
for Mac
$59 USD

Good typists really enjoy them.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'd go a backlit keyboard every time.

OP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mini 16gig/Air 2017 4gig
I got the Macally....

Reaction score
I got the Macally....

I probably should have appended a lot of disclaimers to my post. Keyboards are an awfully individual thing. Some people like quiet keyboards, some like to hear aural feedback. Some users like chicket-style keys, others like keys like on the original IBM keyboards that mimic early electric typewriters. Some like keyboards with short key throws (e.g. recent Macbooks), some like longer key throws with some tactile feedback.

My idea of a perfect keyboard is the Apple keyboard circa the time that Apple was selling Bondi Blue and white Macs. The A1048. Shockingly, you can still get one of those keyboards, and you can get one for a very reasonable price:

Brand New Apple A1048 English Layout wired full size USB keyboard 658-0306 (2SB)
$39.50

And some people REALLY love the original IBM clacky-style keyboards. IBM sold the rights to make those keyboards to Lexmark, and they in turn sold the rights to Unicomp. You can still purchase a brand new one!!!
In those old buckling spring keyboards, keys are individually sprung and produce
an assuring sound when you hit the mark correctly.

Sold directly from Unicomp:
SpaceSaverM $105

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I loved those old IBM keyboards with the clakkity clak keys. I believe the original IBM keyboards you refer to came with a PS2 connector.

BTW, Gateway Computers (remember those?) sold a very similar keyboard. Gateway Computers were lovingly known as "Cow Boxes".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I loved those old IBM keyboards with the clakkity clak keys.
I also like my Das mechanical keyboard, but it’s not what I would call “minimal.”

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brand New Apple A1048 English Layout wired full size USB keyboard 658-0306 (2SB)
$39.50 [ebay.com]

I really do prefer using the Apple Wired Extended (Full) Keyboard, model number A1243, which I believe came a bit later than the Apple A1048, but unfortunately, any replacement coming from either eBay (US or Can) adds aprox another $40.00 or more to the used price.

But there have been lots of models to choose from if they are all still available:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
...unfortunately, any replacement coming from either eBay (US or Can) adds aprox another $40.00 or more to the used price.

What's up with that? I thought that the U.S. and Canada signed a free trade agreement like all the way back during the Bill Clinton administration. Why would goods shipped from this country become twice the price if shipped to Canada? I could deliver them in person with a short car drive.

Heck, I can order stuff directly from communist China and get free shipping all the way across the Pacific and no surcharge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's up with that?

Exactly..!!! 😔 A very annoying add-on cost that has prevented me from making many purchases. And why does they eBay Canada site add extra shipping for Canadian purchases??? That really doesn't make any sense to me.
Even Amazon and others often do the same thing.

Even Amazon has started adding a "global shipping" charge thought for some reason only shows up on your Visa statement and is not included in the Amazon invoice. Sneaky and something I am fully aware of these days and often avoid making a purchase because of it.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick:

That has to be a Canadian tax or some sort of import fee. But shipments from one Canadian address to another make no sense if extra charges are added.

Randy's statement about getting goods from China with no surcharge has also been my experience.

I suppose you can get a Post Office box in Washington just below the border and drive down to pick up your goods. :sd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(starting from)
That has to be a Canadian tax or some sort of import fee. But shipments from one Canadian address to another make no sense if extra charges are added.

Unfortunately not Charlie, at least nothing extra normally, the provincial and federal sales tax are of course automatically included, but seldom any import tree or duty, especially if one uses the us or Canadian postal shipping methods. Using couriers can have some horrendous charges added unless stated otherwise. One has to be very very careful when ordering.

I suppose you can get a Post Office box in Washington just below the border and drive down to pick up your goods. :sd

We have had to do that method if and when convenient, but it means an expensive Ferry trip there and return plus Customs at the border crossing point.
We do have an air flight available from Bellingham Washington to Victoria International Airport which cost $25 for a small package, but a lot cheaper than the ferry method.

Amazon shipping is pretty good for the most part, especially if one has a Prime account or can qualify for some type of free shipping. But they still sometimes seem to be able to get a piece of the action with their annoying "Global Shipping" charge.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G3RFBWEWS8HAFWZP&tag=macforums0e4-20

Notice that their provided, stated costs say "(starting from)". That cost would probably cover shipping a large paper clip or staple or some small jewellery without insurance!!! 😔

eBay type places don't seem to have any great shipping bargains available.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.