Need a better solution than VNC

Reaction score
Right now on my Mac Pro I have the VNC server enabled (under "Sharing") and I use UltraVNC from a WinXP machine to connect remotely. It is DOG SLOW, even over a high speed connection. Plus sometimes when UltraVNC is sloowwwly painting the screen, it screws up and I get this weird multi-color lines, then it just stops drawing. :Angry-Tongue:

Any suggestions? Something Windows based that will work better than UltraVNC.. or maybe a better VNC server on the Mac end will help somehow?

OP
C
Reaction score
Nice to see it's free.. one thing that's kinda frustrating me about the Mac world (I'm a recent switcher) is that everybody & their brother is charging $$ for their software. Ugh.

Anyway, I'll try that. Which VNC client (Windows) do you recommend? I just tried TightVNC, it seems faster than UltraVNC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Nice to see it's free.. one thing that's kinda frustrating me about the Mac world (I'm a recent switcher) is that everybody & their brother is charging $$ for their software. Ugh.

Anyway, I'll try that. Which VNC client (Windows) do you recommend? I just tried TightVNC, it seems faster than UltraVNC.

??? I find the exact opposite.. Most of my favorite apps are entirely FREE.

Quicksilver... best app ever!!!
Onyx
ManiMenu
HandBrake
MacTheRipper
ffmpeg
A BOAT load of Widgets...
The list goes on and on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. There are tons of shareware alternatives for everything that ask for donations. I just went through my applications folder and only 10 of my 94 applications listed weren't free programs.

I don't have much experience with windows VNC clients but Real and TightVNC are the two I hear about most

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I prefer tightvnc. Maybe if you lower your colorspace you'll get better performance. And turn off encryption if it's on.

OP
C
Reaction score
Apps that cost $ (or are crippleware):

iBank
LicenseKeeper
Audio Hijack
SoundConvertor
The Missing Sync (major disappointment, see below)
1Passwd
SWF & FLV Player

Some of this is priced nicely ($10). Some, not (iBank @ $50). Considering some of the bugs and interface quirks I've found with iBank, I'd expect more out of a $50 program.

Don't get me wrong, there are also a lot of great freeware apps too. CyberDuck, QuickSilver (which I still haven't downloaded, I keep hearing it's a resource hog), NeoOffice, Acquisition (mild nagware), Adium, Transmission, ffmpegX, VLC, SuperDuper (very mild crippleware), MacTheRipper, Handbrake, and lots more.

The Missing Sync is a big disappointment at a whopping $50. Umm.. it's a sync program. I plug in my Windows Mobile phone, and it syncs calendar/contacts/etc. $50?! I refuse to buy it, I would rather just manually enter stuff twice, honestly.

Not to mention Toast 8 Titanium is overpriced at $80-$100 brand new. Yes, it's a great program and I bought it, and like it a lot. I actually got the upgrade price of $60 (a bit much for an upgrade price, honestly) but that's a long story. But Toast falls victim to the same problem Nero (Windows burning app) does. They throw in a bunch of extra stuff I'll never use, and hike up the price. Just give me a really solid CD/DVD burning app, that's it. The only reason I went with Toast over Disco is because I was told Toast was probably the best (only?) way to take any video format and burn it to a video DVD. If Mac had a program like DVDShrink for Windows, I would've skipped Toast and bought Disco.

OP
C
Reaction score
I know. I am one. :) Though I don't make a living off creating software. I guess I can rest easy knowing that if I ever do create OS X software, I can charge for it and probably people will pay. ;)

The Missing Sync is the only program I thumb my nose at. I really do feel that is seriously overpriced for what it is.

M

MacHeadCase

A friend of mine had loads of problems with Missing Sync as well. To the point where it was ditched but can't remember in favour of which app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.