Name of my home network?

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but i have two macs on my home network.

I was just wondering -- does the network have a name, and if so where would I find it? I'm just curious. It's something I've never thought about. I just plug in and it's on the network. But if my network has a name, I don't know where it is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I was just wondering -- does the network have a name, and if so where would I find it? I'm just curious. It's something I've never thought about. I just plug in and it's on the network. But if my network has a name, I don't know where it is.

Click on the Airport icon in the menu bar...then look for the network name with the check-mark next to it. That's your network name.:)

- Nick

p.s. Moved thread to better area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What are you plugging in? Ethernet or device?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Hello - you've already received great responses, so cannot add much except a couple screen captures - I'm assuming that your computers or at least one is on a Wi-Fi network - please respond to that question.

Now, if your computer(s) are connected wirelessly via a Wi-Fi router, then the network is identified as a SSID (Security Set ID) - my AirPort Extreme router generates for networks - for my 2 dual band ones (i.e. 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz), my SSID name is my last name + street numeric address (I've blanked these out in the attachments) - I also have 2 'Guest' networks. As Nick has stated, clicking on the Wi-Fi icon in the top menu bar will open the first image below showing the 'active' network checked and also several of my other networks, plus numerous networks of my neighbors (some not protected!). If you hold down the 'Option Key' and click the icon, then much information is generated about your active network.

Another route is to open 'About This Mac' and then produce a 'System Report' - open the Wi-Fi option on the left and TONS of information become available about the detected wireless networks. Hope these pics help - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 12.06.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 12.09.27 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Ethernet is plugged in.

So, both of your computers are plugged to ethernet? My iMac is cabled via my router - returning to the system report and this time selecting 'Network' and then highlighting ethernet, my iMac connection is named excitingly en0 (i.e. ethernet 0) (see pic) - this is a nomenclature related to UNIX, specifically the many BSD Derivatives (BSD = Berkeley Software Distribution); of course, macOS sits on a foundation of UNIX, hence the BSD name of my iMac; SO, with a cabled connection you do not have a 'user defined' network name - now maybe some of our more UNIX/macOS savvy members will chime in w/ some more specific comments - Dave :)

P.S. Assume you have a router to which your computers are cabled - correct? If so, is this a Wi-Fi router - if so and setup then you should have a wireless network for your compatible devices, like an iPad?
Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 12.58.02 PM.png

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.