My wife wants a mac, is it worth it?

Reaction score
I can't agree with this. You can make certain arguments regarding OS X having a better workflow, but Vista is not a slow OS if you're on relatively recent hardware. Just like OS X! Both Vista and Leopard basically require computers no more than 2-3 years old to run very well, and they both start to bog down when you try to use them on older computers.

In terms of things like video encoding, applying filters and effects in Photoshop, FPS when rendering 3D images or games, or any other demanding activity, the OS has virtually nothing to do with performance. The faster computer will win regardless of what OS it happens to be running.

I'm not saying that Macs are worthless or anything but people here seem to have this notion that they're perfect and have superhuman (or I guess supercomputer) capabilities, and it's just not true. The only difference between a Mac and a Windows PC is the OS. So yes, there's some good software, but calculations take a certain amount of time no matter what software you're using.
Interesting ...

I have a 3-year old PC with both WinXP and Linux installed on it, and tasks running in Linux run much faster than similar tasks running in WinXP on that machine. With Vista it would be no contest. So I still say the OS has a lot to do with performance.

I would be interested to know how fast Vista runs on a Mac (using Boot Camp) versus OS X running on the same Mac. I honestly don't know the answer to that question because I can't install Windows on my old iMac. But my guess is that OS X would run faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
I think the main thing hurting performance in Vista is that Aero requires a fair amount of graphics horsepower. Not a gaming graphics card, but shared video with DirectX 9 support is pretty much necessary. That means GMA 950 or better. And as low-end as that is, a lot of older PCs don't have even that.

Having used a few Intel Macs running OS X, I can say that it's basically about the same speed as my PC running Vista. That is, it's fast enough that the OS doesn't get in the way or make me think about it. Beyond that I can't ask much. I don't have any experience running Vista on marginal hardware, though, so I couldn't really say. Lowest-end system I've used for Vista was an Athlon X2 4400+ with a Radeon Xpress 1150, which is a little better than a GMA 950, and it was perfectly smooth and fast. I imagine running it on Intel 8xx graphics would be pretty painful.

What I was referring to when I said that faster hardware will be faster regardless of OS was only in relation to demanding, computation-heavy tasks. I'm not talking about workflow or efficiency or anything. That varies from person to person, and for many people, OS X gives you an advantage there. I'm just talking about things like if you want to encode a large video file, it doesn't matter if you're running OS X or Windows, the faster hardware will win. A dual-core iMac won't magically beat a Core i7-based PC just because it's a Mac. But most people don't push their computers hard enough for it to matter, so there's no need for extreme hardware. May as well go with the one that they like better even if it's more expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I guess the bottom line is domestic bliss worth it not the Apple Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
20'' vs. 24''? I love bigger screens and I think it's probably worth the extra money, but is the 20'' awesome enough?

Well, I have a 20" and its just like a normal screen, there is nothing really special about it. But the 24" is, obviously, bigger, and also has better quality. The 20" screens are subject to 'screen-wash', which isn't a really major problem, but the color between the top and bottom of the screen will be slightly lighter/darker respectively. The 24" should not get this problem, so if you have the extra coin:$ , you might as well go for it. :)

Reaction score
I'd get the Dell if you enjoy removing worthless crap (AOL anyone) that will be all over your new PC, installing virus software, editing registry junk that crappy programmers leave behind, don't mind plug and pray, and a variety of other headaches I'm forgetting.

On the other hand, if you enjoy your wife smiling..... get her the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
Hey I can relate to your following problem. I was faced with this decision upon getting my first Mac. Here is a quick summary of my thoughts.

I had the choice between a big powerful Windows machine or a Mac. I thought long and hard on which I wanted to spend my money on and I did a lot of research. At this time I was most comfortable using windows but had used OSX at school doing 3D animation. So I was undecided at this time.

I heard nothing but good things about Mac and wasn't sure if I believed everything that people were saying. I then thought about something that changed my mind. Even though I could buy this massive windows machine for the same price I realized that there was no way I needed that much power to do what I was doing. And the way I thought of it was substituting that power of the PC for the great Operating system of the Mac. So this what finally triggered myself buying a Mac.

My true thoughts about Mac from being a PC user for 7 years is that they are great. The Hardware is classy and reliable. As well as the operating system. I jumped into OSX very easily and became fluent with it in about a week. Everything just runs so smooth. The software that is included makes a BIG difference in your average usage. (For example downloading an image and instead of dragging it into a folder in windows you can just automatically put it in a album in iPhoto and it is 5x faster and easier to access later).

The software made for Mac seems to have that same user friendly interface that makes using it very easy. Apple gives you some great software already on the computer that is just seamless and very easy to use and get high end content finished quickly.

One thing that a lot of people don't mention a lot is the fact that Apple's support for their products is seriously the best I have ever experienced. Apple makes software updates regularly that fix any small issues very quickly. Its very easy to do and makes your Mac experience incredible.

Overall i would go with a Mac over a PC for my average usage any day. The interface is solid, the computer runs and looks great, everything is very easy to use and jump into, there is a great community of Mac users, and Apple provides great support for their customers. Buying a Mac truly has changed the way I think about computers.

So in the end I chose a Mac and I am very happy I did over a top end PC.

PS: If your wife is divided on wether to get a laptop or desktop, get a laptop and buy and external monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Best of both worlds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Of course it's worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.66ghz 4GB Ram
go to the apple store with her and have a rep take her for a tour, she'll get exactly what she wants. Is it worth it, absolutely! i switched a few months ago and ill never switch back to windows.

OP
J
Reaction score
So my wife has decided to go with a 24'' iMac. I sort of wanted to get a $800 dollar PC and a new flat screen TV, but like I said, she's the boss.
Also, I'm suddenly even more pro-mac. I love my Dell but I hate Vista. My PC has just been riddled with glitches over the past week. If I had the money I'd get a macbook for myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You won't regret it. Just don't get frustrated if you have to take a little time getting used to OS X because despite similar GUI elements, it is a totally different system. If you don't get something right away or something doesn't work the way you thought it would, don't give up in anger. Just come back here for advice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.