My MacBook Pro Went to Sleep Permanently?

Reaction score
Yesterday I I closed the lid on my MacBook Pro, early 2008, 2.4 C2D. When I opened it, nothing happened. When I try to power it on, the sleep indicator comes on for a few seconds, the fans spin up and the dvd drive clicks, no chime. I haven't been able to get it to do anything more than that. It's been running solid with no problems. Any ideas what it could be? Is it worth putting a replacement board in? I'm "having" to type this on a Thinkpad T61. which I'd already decided would be my keeper Windows Machine.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A simple start would be to see if it still works and just has a monitor panel that is either dimmed or broken. If the brightness isn't all the way down, do you have an external monitor you can use to test things with?

OP
C
Reaction score
No joy on that one. Is it dead? I've opened it up to extract the SSD. Need to get some files off of it. Do you think it would be worth fixing? New boards are a "no-brainer" so parts would be the only cost, or should I just hold off and save for a newer one. Luckily around here, it seems that some of the folds that use Macs like to have the newest one at all times so there seems to be dome fairly good deals on three and four year olds. I just hate to give up on a serviceable machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.