My MacBook pro screen has died

Reaction score
How can I connect a monitor to my MacBook Pro if the screen has died? All I have is a light blue screen with a dark blue band in the middle. It seems to be in a boot up loop. Every couple of minutes I get the tone and the screen goes black, the blue screen comes back on and then it reboots again! I'm trying to connect a monitor to it to see if the screen has blown. Help!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
you can't and you can let me explain:

the macbook is designed to use a second monitor however this feature usually has to be enabled first if it isn't you will just extend the desktop the the other monitor which means no access to the menu's

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If the graphics card died - you can't.

If only the screen died - connect an external monitor, keyboard and mouse - start the computer and wait long enough until you know it's booted up. Then close the lid - wait long enough to know it's gone to sleep - then move the mouse around or press a key to wake it up - you should then be able to use the external monitor in what is called clamshell mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.