My macbook is too old and I can’t transfer photos to new ipad.

Reaction score
I have an old macbook circa 2009/10 with OS X El Captain version 10.11.6. I don use my macbook very often these days. last year I replaced my ipad and iphone with last year’s ipad air and iphone 12 pro. At the time I transferred everything between devices across using icloud and didn’t bother connecting them to my macbook. However I want to now access older photos stored on my macbook from my honeymoon, wedding etc but I can seem to find a way to do this. When I connect my ipad to my macbook it doesn’t like it and says “iTunes could not connect to this iPad. You do not have permission”. FYI I have said Trust the macbook on my iPad etc. I googled this and I read to make sure your macbook is up to date but I can’t do this because my macbook doesn’t have enough storage space To do an update. I have thought about the icloud but although I logged in and even added some photos to a shared folder on the cloud I can’t access them on my ipad. These are hugely sentimental photos and I don’t know what to do. Is there something obvious that I am not trying, or can anyone help me find a solution to this. I really want to get these photos off before its too late. Any ideas welcome. I can’t pop into an Apple store and ask for help as we are in lockdown at the moment. Many thanks in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Threads merged - please do not post the same question multiple times.

Newer version of iOS devices require newer versions of iTunes/Music to sync with. At some point in time, you will get to a point (or you already have) where your OS doesn't support the version of iTunes/Music needed.

In this case, you'll have to use other software like iMazing to do the sync'ing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You could try using a cloud transfer service like Dropbox. You sign up for dropbox, put the images you want I the dropbox folder, let it sync up to the DB cloud, then send yourself a link to the folder and give yourself access to download them from DB to your iPad, assuming you have sufficient space on the iPad. iCloud would be better, but your various versions won't work together. DB doesn't care.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.