My Mac has a Virus! Help

Reaction score
Well I have gone and done it.. somehow but my Mac has some form of adware on it and its really annoying too. Its seems to be specifically designed to make money from pop up adds which will appear on any browser I use.

It started when i tried to get access to a chat site and I stupidly clicked on an 'update java' button which to my defense was carefully disguised as the original update button but anyway since then I will get this message pop up all the time.

“WARNING: Your Current Browser Is Outdated!”

And to add to that there will be adds all over my browser where ever there is space to fit them where normally there would be nothing, which is the norm..

This link here explains it all in great detail

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/warning-your-current-browser-is-outdated-removal/

But it only has instructions to solve the issue on a windows machine not mac and I can't find anything for it on the net.

My Mac is pretty slow and I can't browse in peace because of this virus. Can anyone help me? I really don't know what to do

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
You do NOT have a virus. You have malware. Different thing. Check your extensions in your browser.
List them here and we might can help (which browser also).

OP
S
Reaction score
Reaction score
Go to preferences in whatever browser you're using and disable Java and javascript.
See if that helps.

Reaction score
have fun with those even if you remove them there stay memory resident programs and are a real %$#$% to remove

Reaction score
i have had to deal with both of these mothers and they are smart little suckers.

let me explain:

there not a plugin usually both of these malware programs write to the unix executable of your browser you pretty much have to reinstall safari firefox and even chrome which sucks or you can do a backup of your files manually not with time machine or you transfer the malware back and reinstall the o.s it gets rid of it as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Blast!

Thought we had a world first Mac OS X virus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.