My Mac Hardrive Has been Renamed? Ever Seen This?

Reaction score
Hi folks,

All of a sudden my Mac Hardrive has been renamed to

?˘<? mbv

I have not done anything in particular that would cause this - this is my fourth MBP and I have never seen anything like it. Anyone have any ideas how or if this will cause any issues, etc? I have verified my disk and found errors, but still the name remains the same. Thoughts? Thanks!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi folks,

All of a sudden my Mac Hardrive has been renamed to

?˘<? mbv

I have not done anything in particular that would cause this - this is my fourth MBP and I have never seen anything like it. Anyone have any ideas how or if this will cause any issues, etc? I have verified my disk and found errors, but still the name remains the same. Thoughts? Thanks!

My best guess on this is random keyboard entry. There is no other possibility that I can think of, but that's just me. For example With no other files or programs open, and with no other item on the Desktop other than the hard drive whose name begins with "Ma" (assuming it was still named the default Macintosh HD), pressing the key sequence
M return ' p e return
will rename the hard drive to 'pe

This sequence could have been entered by someone, such as a child, fiddling with the keyboard; or even by a pet walking on the keyboard.
You can change the name back to the default by highlighting the name under the icon, click again to edit then type in the original name again. It might be worth checking permissions in Disc Utility after that and repair if necessary.:D

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Do you have a cat by chance?

Ha, ha, I know I have and that's what made me think. Also I notice how close some of those symbols and characters are to each other. So I just wondered......?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.