My mac book pro shuts down after being powered on

Reaction score
My mac book pro 13" 2012 is shutting down after being powered on. It was behaving weirdly, randomly crashing but restarting back fine. Now I can't get it to restart as it simply shuts down after being powered on.

Any idea of what might be going on here? A virus maybe? :Confused:

Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Not a virus because there aren't any that can infect your MacBook Pro. Try this: Boot your MacBook Pro and as soon as you hear the bong sound, hold down the command + r keys and keep holding them down until you see the apple symbol appear on the screen. If successful, that will get you into recovery. While in recovery, select Utilities, Disk Utility, and run First Aid on your hard drive. Tell us what the results are (if any).

If your MacBook Pro is shutting down as soon as you power it on, it may be an overheat problem. Let it cool off for a while and try again. There can be other things wrong that will shut the machine down as soon as you power it on, however, try what I suggested first. Let us know.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi thank you for your reply.
I ran first aid on my hard drive. Results attached.

MacBook Pro.JPG

Not sure where to go from here.

Thank you so much for your help.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You are running First Aid On the Base System. You need to run it on the Macintosh HD.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Moved thread to better area.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.