• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My little pony of the week: Daring Fireball's John Gruber

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I had spam for breakfast, I can only have so much in a day. That stuff is terrible for ya.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
So let me get this straight. There was an offer for you to get a free t-shirt. Time passed and you didn't receive it. You send an email inquiring about it and receive a reply. The reply explains rather politely and concisely as to what the delay is, and that it may take even more time until the offer for the free shirt can be fulfilled.
Now you are upset and calling this person/company names because the free shirt still has not arrived.
I don't get it. It is free. It isn't like you spent any money on it and even if it doesn't come, you really aren't out anything.
Wait, you then mention that you sent him money... for what? I thought you said the shirt was free?

M

MacHeadCase

I kinda like John Gruber. What's this? Someone joins to blast OWC, now someone joins to blast John Gruber.

Wait... Is this Blast Week or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
This is just a harmless somewhat sarcastic suggestion. Is it possible to make a new rule that the first post a new member makes must involve some sort of newbie question regarding Macs, or how they just got a new Mac, or whether they should wait for Leopard or buy now, or some type of thread that doesn't involve how some guy didn't receive his free t-shirt?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
And why should I be concerned about this, since you come here to put him on blast?

M

MacHeadCase

I think this is an issue between both of you. Why join a forum to put someone down? Because he's a well-known Mac blogger and a developer as well?

OP
D
Reaction score
Again, if you'd read the posts you'd see that he just ignores people, not just me. This was a last resort.

M

MacHeadCase

No I don't want to read the posts because this is not an issue with me and John Gruber or whoever the heck it could be next week. It's your thing, not mine or anyone else's here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
John Gruber said:
I’m now partnering with Oddica ...This should take a process that previously took weeks — and in some cases, due to my own mistakes and poor inventory management, months — and turn it into a process that takes just a few days to get new shirts into your hands. The bottom line: Higher-quality shirts and much faster fulfillment times....and they’ll begin shipping in mid-April.

What About Pending Orders?

There are dozens of pending shipments for shirts ordered during the last few months, and, at the moment, I have an embarrassingly large queue of support email regarding delayed and lost orders. All pending shipments (and re-shipments for lost packages) will ship before new orders begin shipping in mid-April. Most pending orders will ship from my existing stock of shirts.

Expect this site to be relatively quiet for the next day or two as I work through these piles. My thanks to everyone for their support of Daring Fireball, and for the patience of those of you who’ve had to wait far longer than is reasonable for your shirts to arrive.

Source: http://daringfireball.net/2007/03/new_daring_fireball_tshirts
Seems like he is well aware of the problems, admits fault to it, and is doing everything he can to rectify it as soon as possible. I would say that makes him an alright guy in my book.
He messed up. He knows it. He admits it.
That is a heckuvalot more than most people would do.:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually, although this is a bit of a private matter, I can relate, so thank you for posting!

I signed up for the Daring Fireball T-shirt membership in September.
After hearing nothing about the shirt for ages, I sent an email. A month later I tried again. This January I enquired again and received a reply (he hadn't seen my other emails and had been bogged down etc.)

Now I completely understand the hassle of manually shipping out shirts, waiting for stuff to be delivered etc (and I sympathized with him in my emails as well). But it's now almost April and I still haven't got a shirt.

If he can't deliver to his paying customers and readers, he might have been better off taking the T-shirt membership down until he could sort a company out to do it (which he now seems to have done). Because he states that his largest source of income is from the members of his site, so I wouldn't be so quick to supposedly "rip people off".

Or at least post explaining the delay sometime before.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and still enjoy his site and look forward to receiving my tshirt someday...

Might be nice to get it before my first year's membership runs out though;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.