My Ipod is sad

Reaction score
Hello, Im new here. My names Jason.

Now that thats out of the way...

Ive had my iPod for about 2.5 years and it is a 4th gen (i think) 20gb (its color and has photo abilities but wasnt known as iPod Photo if that helps). A couple months ago it was playing just fine and all of the sudden it stopped and begin cycling through songs but not playing them. I couldn't do anything - it wouldnt even turn off. Then i was finally able to restart it and when it came back on there was a sad faced iPod icon :( that directed me to the apple support page. Nothing that they suggested helped but eventually it just started working again.

A couple weeks ago it did the same thing only this time its not magically fixing itself. I charged it overnight and it still gives me the sad face icon and then shuts off. Is my iPod in iPod heaven?

If it is dead, are those iPod repair websites valid or scams? The say send your iPod in for free diagnostics. I am worried that I'll send it in and then they will want $300 to fix it or something unreasonable. Any recommendations?

THANK YOU! :)

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Hello, Im new here. My names Jason.

Now that thats out of the way...

Ive had my iPod for about 2.5 years and it is a 4th gen (i think) 20gb (its color and has photo abilities but wasnt known as iPod Photo if that helps). A couple months ago it was playing just fine and all of the sudden it stopped and begin cycling through songs but not playing them. I couldn't do anything - it wouldnt even turn off. Then i was finally able to restart it and when it came back on there was a sad faced iPod icon :( that directed me to the apple support page. Nothing that they suggested helped but eventually it just started working again.

A couple weeks ago it did the same thing only this time its not magically fixing itself. I charged it overnight and it still gives me the sad face icon and then shuts off. Is my iPod in iPod heaven?

If it is dead, are those iPod repair websites valid or scams? The say send your iPod in for free diagnostics. I am worried that I'll send it in and then they will want $300 to fix it or something unreasonable. Any recommendations?

THANK YOU! :)

Jason

WELCOME to MF!

Not always but a lot of the time a sad ipod means you have issues with your HDD.. I know of two ipod repair sites that are not scams.. one would be www.ifixipodsfast.com or www.ipodresq.com

usually their "free diagnostics" means you pay to send it to them and they will look at it for you for free.. I had this done through www.ifixipodsfast.com and they gave me back my shipping when I agreed to their repair.. In my opinion its worth $10 to see what the issue is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.