My iPhone XR has a mind of its own

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
For weeks, maybe months, I realize my iPhone does things I never instructed it to do, meaning without me touching it:
  1. It switches my volume to zero. It is annoying because I don't hear notifications and incoming calls. Happens many times a day.
  2. It takes screenshots, just like that. Happens once in a while
  3. In mail: I have set to automatically receive my mail from my two mail boxes: iCloud and Gmail. But every now and then it switches to only receiving my mail from my iCloud address, so I have to switch it back to 'all inboxes'.
  4. Sometimes an icon on my homescreen disappears. There is suddenly an empty spot, and the other icons are rearranged automatically. I have to remember which one disappeared and look for it. Dragging it back and rearranging everything again is a pain in the neck.
Any suggestions how I can take control over my iPhone or are these inconveniences things I have to live by?

iPhone XR
iOS 16.6.1

Robert

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
First thing to do is a Forced/Hard Reset. This frequently solves problems similar to you. The Apple Support Link below tells you how to do this:

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
Thanks Ian. I did that several times. Also after the recent iOS upgrade the iPhone goes thru the same process. To no avail unfortunately
Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In mail: I have set to automatically receive my mail from my two mail boxes: iCloud and Gmail. But every now and then it switches to only receiving my mail from my iCloud address, so I have to switch it back to 'all inboxes'.
Sometimes this happens to me when viewing certain iCloud emails. Then when going back to the inbox, it will return to the iCloud inbox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
For weeks, maybe months, I realize my iPhone does things I never instructed it to do, meaning without me touching it:
  1. It switches my volume to zero. It is annoying because I don't hear notifications and incoming calls. Happens many times a day.
  2. It takes screenshots, just like that. Happens once in a while
  3. In mail: I have set to automatically receive my mail from my two mail boxes: iCloud and Gmail. But every now and then it switches to only receiving my mail from my iCloud address, so I have to switch it back to 'all inboxes'.
  4. Sometimes an icon on my homescreen disappears. There is suddenly an empty spot, and the other icons are rearranged automatically. I have to remember which one disappeared and look for it. Dragging it back and rearranging everything again is a pain in the neck.
Any suggestions how I can take control over my iPhone or are these inconveniences things I have to live by?

iPhone XR
iOS 16.6.1

Robert
Screen shots, that is one my issues, but it is not the phone, when i press the on/off button with my index finger, and thumb is on the volume button (not purposely), pressing the two together takes a screenshot!!!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
when i press the on/off button with my index finger, and thumb is on the volume button (not purposely), pressing the two together takes a screenshot!!!

Hear! Hear! The number of times I've done that............

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just another reason I still like having the "Home" button on my SE. It takes two hands for me to take a screenshot. But don't dispair, it's almost impossible to take an accidental screenshot on my Samsung Galaxy and nearly as difficult to take one deliberately., even with three optional methods, typical😟

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
Screen shots, that is one my issues, but it is not the phone, when i press the on/off button with my index finger, and thumb is on the volume button (not purposely), pressing the two together takes a screenshot!!!
No thumbs or any other finger on my iPhone. It happens out of the blue when my iPhone is just lying on the table and nobody touches it. Right now I look at the volume on my iPhone: it's off, whilst when I put it on my desk 5 minutes ago it was on.
Robert

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.