My first (real) photography work. Criticisms please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch macbook pro, 2.6ghz chip, 4gb ram
Firstly....... I don't think you should be asking other people what YOU should be shooting, think about what you enjoy, have fun and go for it.
Secondly you need to know the rules before you can break them, there is no such thing as "breaking them appropriately" some photo's are amazing in their own right because people choose to break the rules in a creative way of their own invention, not because they broke them in a way that seemed appropriate to others.
Another thing, the better you get the more you realise that you were never that great when you started out, its something you realise more and more as your technique improves over the years, the composition of some of your photo's are interesting and it looks like you had fun exploring the town, if your doing this for fun, then great, it looks like you're having fun.
If you want to get better, practice, read, research. What i'm trying to say really, is be objective, be critical, listen, learn, and you will improve, there is no secret to being sucessful other than hard work, and then one day you might turn pro, you never know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Factual, your image tells a story. Who, what when or where. The best pictures evoke a sense of imagination in the viewer. Always take photos that tell of stories and places.

A little late to the table, but I disagree.

Fashion and glamour don't tell a story. Portraiture doesn't really either.

No story here, but a decent photo regardless of that fact:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2C2D 2gb 15.4
Wow you guys have some pretty good tips! I think i have also learned something very valuable. KcOng, you did a good job explaining those five elements. I never took that into consideration.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.