• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My Fancy New Vizio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4
Nice purchase, those are good tvs for the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz 2GB 120GB hard drive NVIDIA graphics with 128MB SDRAM
nice, iv been looking for a reletivle large flat scren at a low price for my room, so the only ones i have seen have very dull color, ill have to give these a look, and bt the way, i have no idea what those movie posters are.

Reaction score
IMHO, OTA broadcasts beat out any next-gen video discs or Cable and Satellite HD broadcasts. It's strange but true. I don't know how the best stuff comes from an antenna with coax.

Most satellite and cable companies compress there signal. Kinda of a loophole as it is an HD signal, but compressed for bandwidth. As with OTA you're getting the uncompressed glorious HD.

Haven't seen to much of Blu-ray or HDDVD, but what I have seen with my 360 and XBLM beats out anything else I've put through my TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
The TV looks great. And King Kong, WHAT a movie (sigh). Think I'm going to watch it today...

Reaction score
ya i was thinking of getting the 32 inch...BUT i think it would take up too much space...and also how does the hddvd stuff all work and what cables would i need for it? Kinda new to the tv stuff :)

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
how does the hddvd stuff all work and what cables would i need for it? Kinda new to the tv stuff :)

1.) You need an HD DVD player. Toshiba makes them and they're about to release their 3rd gen player. So you could get a nice 2nd gen player for a relatively low price (probably $250 or so). Or, you could get a 1st gen player like I have for around $200.

2.) You need to pick up some HDMI or component cables to hook it up to your HDTV. I recommend HDMI because it is fully digital and you can upconvert your regular DVDs to near-HD quality through HDMI. Don't bother with component cables, HDMI is the future.

3.) Buy some HD DVDs. If you want to really be able to show off HD DVD system I recommend picking up King Kong, Hulk, or Batman Begins on HD DVD. I just picked up The Departed this week and it looks stunning in HD but there aren't many special effects to show off. There are also some classic movie titles that are available in HD DVD (i.e. Goodfellas, Apollo 13, The Matrix Trilogy) as well.

4.) Sit back and enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz 2GB 120GB hard drive NVIDIA graphics with 128MB SDRAM
man i really need to upgrade to a hdtv, i looked and unfortunatly the Vizio tv's arnt avalible in canada:Not-Amused:

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I'm actually watching Jay Leno every night just because of the amazing PQ of his show. He has a really colorful set and it looks incredible in HD.

man i really need to upgrade to a hdtv, i looked and unfortunatly the Vizio tv's arnt avalible in canada:Not-Amused:

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm sure that there are people on ebay with Brand New Vizio's who are willing to ship to Canada.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
EDIT: I'll give imaginary money to whoever can tell me the two movie posters I have behind the TV. It shouldn't be too hard to see what they are.

GodFather I & ScareFace.... Both Movies Rock.

Nice TV man. Enjoy it.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GodFather I & ScareFace.... Both Movies Rock.

LOL, finally someone to give all of this imaginary money to!

It is actually "Scarface", but "Scareface" is close enough. "Scareface" kinda sounds like a straight-to-DVD horror movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
My business partner had a girl he knows buy us a 32" lcd from walmart for $500, for out studio. I have no idea what brand it is, but it's not bad for being so cheap. It runs up to 1080i and has all takes all the different compnents...

Reaction score
I'm actually watching Jay Leno every night just because of the amazing PQ of his show. He has a really colorful set and it looks incredible in HD.

If you want amazing picture check out the Planet Earth series on Discovery. The caves episode is my favorite. I know its out on Blu-ray, but am not sure about HDDVD. A must see

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want amazing picture check out the Planet Earth series on Discovery. The caves episode is my favorite. I know its out on Blu-ray, but am not sure about HDDVD. A must see

It is available in HD DVD. I bid on it on ebay but lost. It retails for nearly $100.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz blackbook ,g4 cube, powerbook g4, 8gb iphone
i have that exact one!

Reaction score
thanks for the input bro...how about surround sound for that even better hd experience :) any input for that i am going to get a 360 so i could just do the hd through that right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.