• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My computer chair is giving me PAINS (literally)

Reaction score
I need a new computer chair the one i have is giving me major pains when im working on the latop .

i mean i try to keep my back straight and everything but i notice my armss/back starts hurting when im on the computer typing for a while..

1.) does using a mouse help ?

and 2.) can anyone reccomend a place online (or offline) that sells really good chairs?

give me reccs on what u guys like!

3.) OPTIMALLY someone will tell me where to get these kind of chairs:

i used it overseas and cant find them here in california...

Ok let me try and describe it..

its a swivel chair..

the back of the chair is made up of two separate oval shape looking things and the best part is
the back of the chair would conform to your back and conform to any way that you move

it was soo comfortable

does anyone know what im talking about?

i cant find them anywhere!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I've just been googling and I can't find anything that answers your description.

La-Z-boy makes some office chairs, which I imagine would be quite comfortable.

My fiance has had some back strain. He just got a Lane office chair from Staples and his back has been better. :black:

I use a mouse when my laptop is on my desk. It does seem to cut down on muscle tension.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Just make sure that your elbows rest on the arms of the chair while sitting up right. Your legs are in 90 degree position while your feet touch the ground. And, most important thing is that your derriere is happy.

Reaction score
Speaking as a massage therapist - we all have our secret talents ;)
Laptops are lower than a 'normal' pc so in effect you'd always be looking down at the screen rather than eye level. This will put strain on your back, I'd reccomend a mouse and an ergonomic mouse mat with a built in wrist support - not very Apple sexeh but better than RSI. You'll need to take a break every 30 mins or so just to walk around, stretch etc. The majority of my work is based around backs and 90% of that is due to work conditions and bad posture.

You could try an ergonomic 'kneeling' chair but they really are ugly ;)
Look for a 'coccyx' cushion that sits on the base of your chair and has a dip for your tail bone and also a footrest which would raise your feet (obviously) but aligned your back. Your bum should be right to the back of the chair.

Do as I say and not as I do, me hunched over a coffee table with my Macbook :D

Reaction score
I used a cheap "leather" chair from PC World for a few years. Looks OK, tilts nice, but oh so unergonomic.

I bought a second-hand Aeron chair of eBay. It's not like sitting in an armchair or anything, and took quite a while to get used to, but now when I get up at the end of the day I don't feel like I've spent 14 hours sat in a chair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
My computer chair at home came from PC world too - I think it was about £20 - does the job.
Have never had problems, but some of my colleagues at work often advocate things like using the mouse in your left hand to alleviate stress in you right shoulder. I don't get it personally.

I know a little bit about posture management from one of my jobs (I was working with Occupational Therapists), and while my posture is generally not great through slouching all the time, I know what johntalin is talking about with the 90 degrees. This is all related to the chailey approach to posture management (google it up - you'll find loads of stuff). This advocates the 90-90-90 angles between body and upper legs (hips), upper legs and lower legs (knees), and lower legs and feet (ankles) respectively.

More recently, this approach has been challenged as not necessarily being the best for everyone, but largely it works.
So, sit back in your chair, adjust it so your feet touch the floor and your arms are at the same height as the arm rests. Don't forget about the height of your desk and monitor too. It's no good having your chair set up right and your monitor and keyboard are down by your knees (slight exaggeration)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.