My Apple Music Subscription is the best thing since hot chips

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is not a complaint, a question or an instructional post, I just wanted to say we have finally had fibre optic cable installed in our street and to the home and I have been able to increase my ADSL speed to a staggering 10Mbs and as a consequence can finally take advantage of an Apple Music Subscription I've had for about 6 months.
I know there are many similar live streaming services out there but considering my commitment to iTunes and my existing iTunes library this suits me fine.
All I can say is I have been listening to music I haven't heard in years and a lot of music I have never heard before. The stereo has been on almost continuously for a couple of days.
We left a lot of stuff behind when we moved to Indonesia, my record collection being one so all I can say is thank you Apple, fantastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am so envious! I am fighting with my provider to get my ADSL speed back up to 1.7Mbps. It seems the aging lines in my neck of the rural world are so old and the method of using twisty ties to repair issues is just not working. I keep hoping cable will come down my road but it is doubtful.

I am glad you are enjoying the newfound speed!

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congrats Rod on the faster internet speed! Those sort of speed jumps really make a difference…especially when the speed was pretty slow previously.

One question. Fiber optic is kind of the top of the food chain in "internet connection-land" for most folks.;) How come your service is limited to 10Mbps? Is this a package plan you chose (which is perfectly fine)…or is it that the ISP in your area/country just doesn't have a lot of bandwidth to go around? Or are faster plans super expensive?

Congrats again,:)

- Nick

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well Nick I could have gone for 50Gbps but really the band width doesn't support it although one day it might and it is too expensive. Suffice to say I now get around 2Gbps instead of 150Kbps which is a huge improvement and which makes live streaming viable.
Lisa, I feel your pain. I'm sure it will happen for you too someday, I hope not to far away.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm currently on a 75/75 plan with Verizon FIOS and see no reason to pay extra for their 100/100 or 200/200 plans. If I were running a business that depended on faster speeds and greater bandwidth, I would go for it. But it's good to see that Verizon now has competition from other Fiber Optic ISPs. Knowing Verizon though, I don't expect them to lower prices any time soon. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
NBN estimate Rod 2022 for me. Time to change the Government and get a few bucks spent on IT.

Politicians just don't seem to get it anything ultra cheap is ultra shoddy. I bet my bottom buck Canberra ain't on 6Mb/ps. Washington equivalent for you Lisa.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, agreed, I have a home in Melbourne (I'm currently residing in Bali, Indonesia) and getting internet set up at the Melbourne house. My house number is 60, NBN cable stops at number 6. :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well you is doing better than me mate. NBN stops at Coffs Harbour, 50 klms away. The Federal MP lives there, a coincidence do you think?

It would be ann interesting exercise to get the address of Federal Members and Senators and see what proportion are covered by the NBN. What do you reckon Rod ~ high nineties?

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would not be surprised if it's even higher than that.;)

Reaction score
I'm currently on a 75/75 plan with Verizon FIOS and see no reason to pay extra for their 100/100 or 200/200 plans. If I were running a business that depended on faster speeds and greater bandwidth, I would go for it. But it's good to see that Verizon now has competition from other Fiber Optic ISPs. Knowing Verizon though, I don't expect them to lower prices any time soon. :(

Hey

is this plan available on AT&T ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey

is this plan available on AT&T ?

Donna. Chscag is in Texas, USA. You're in Pakistan. Internet services can vary greatly by location. Maybe you should check with AT&T in Pakistan.

- Nick

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes an in case you missed it I'm In Bali, Indonesia.;D

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Rod,

as a consequence can finally take advantage of an Apple Music Subscription I've had for about 6 months.
All I can say is I have been listening to music I haven't heard in years and a lot of music I have never heard before
so all I can say is thank you Apple, fantastic.

Clearly, this has been a great change in your listening life, from the quotes above. I have been toying with Apple Music since its inception, but not committed to it yet.

Either in this thread if you think others would be interested, or if that's not appropriate by a PM, persuade me to follow your example. Which of the many parts of Apple Music do you appreciate the most and so on?

We can all read reviews, but there is no beating first-hand experience.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've been considering Apple Music as a means of identifying more/new music. Don't know why though I don't really have time to listen to the stuff that's already in my library.

The one concern I've seen is that in the initial run some users apparently reported problems with their iTunes Libraries. See here for example.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, here we go, why am I enjoying iTunes Music?
Sly, I know what you mean about having lot's of music but never finding time to listen to it. So why does this work for me? Well, being lazy and wanting to have something playing in the background but not sure what and even if I do select something what to do when that finishes, now what? Then there is exploring 'new' artists and music, I try but after a short while and a few failures I get discouraged an give up. It all just seems to take too long.
So ITM (iTunes Music) makes it about as easy as it could be by;
(a) compiling my collection and the whole iTunes library into one source available on all my devices,
(b) suggesting music I might like based on my library and the choices I have made,
(c) providing playlists, compilations of music from the same artist or genre in the 'For You' tab,
and (d) the radio streaming function which is great if I'm really feeling lazy, I can tune in to a blues station and just listen all day and there are a lot of channels to listen to.
Of course I can also search for artists, songs, albums etc.
Last week I went to a birthday party, the music at the house was limited but the owner had a good stereo so I took along a cable with RCA plugs, hooked up my iPhone and we played Motown music for most of the night without me having to touch anything.
Obviously the potential is unlimited and how much effort you want to put in is nominal but if you want music without much effort it doesn't get much easier than this.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've come close to pulling the trigger on a subscription several times myself. I've talked myself into, and out of, the subscription several times.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apart from the music I have got that I forgot about there are also other albums of artists I used to have. The "For You" is a real memory jogger, the other day the first thing that came up was an album cover of an album I used to have, I didn't have to read the title, the cover of Led Zeppelin's album Physical Graffiti is unmistakeable.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Rod

Thank you for that concise and clever summary.

You've been most helpful because most of the literature I've read about Apple Music relates to: the technical side of things; the cost/benefit versus other systems; how to tweak the settings; how to "connect" with or "follow' artistes (the last thing on my mind); and so on.

Your contribution is all about user experience.

Thank you.

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the compliment Ian, I'm not interested in "following" or "connecting" with artists either. I really wrote it in response to your thread so I'm happy if it's helped.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.