Music on the Mac

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying an Apple Mac solely for music and video, is this the best pc for doing this? I want to use the sonos hand held remote to select the music from a different room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Well, first things first, please don't call Mac a PC... kinda hurtful :(

Well if you are talking about listening and viewing videos, Then of course Macs are very well capable of doing so flawlessly, and in my opinion a heck of a lot better than any PC in the same class (which will b way overpriced) can.

Not sure what the Sonos Hand Held Remote is. But Most Mac Laptops and the iMacs come with a remote that works great with Front Row.

Go to www.apple.com check out the presentation on the laptops and the features of the Front Row, its pretty good.

Hope that helped.

Cheers :D

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for that, but what is the main difference between a pc and a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The OS. PCs use Windows, Macs use Mac OS.

OP
T
Reaction score
Not sure I understand that....but anyway??
Can the mac be linked to a Sony Bravia LCD TV to view videos/internet etc??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
The OS. PCs use Windows, Macs use Mac OS.

I mean, if you think about for a second a Mac is also a PC (personal computer - read here) although most mac enthusiats tend to get place the PC term with windows OS, its not true; Apples are also PC's just with different hardware and software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|

They use a different operating system. Mac Osx = Different than windows. The have a very different interface. Anyways, you can definetly hook your LCD to a mac. If your going to be using it for viewing movies and videos and general web use, Id suggest you get a Mac Mini, and a bluetooth Mighty Mouse and bluetooth Apple Keyboard. The Mac Mini comes with its own remote controll for itunes and Front Row software.

Reaction score

You should try to understand as much as possible before you even think about purchasing a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Well, let me see if I can help u a bit more here.

Windows as u might already know is the Operating Software on ur regular PCs, like the ones u'd get from Dell, Gateway or whatever other PC Makers out there.

When it comes to Macs, Apple make their own Operating Software which is radically different than Windows in many ways, all for the good I might add. What gives Apple/Mac the edge is that The same company (i.e. Apple) that manufactures the hardware also develops the OS (Operating Software) for their own computers which is the reason they are way more stable as everything is accounted for, which leads to an awesome Computing experience... Which also explains the popular phrase "Macs.. It Just Works" :D because they simply do the job that u can perform on a PC but a heck of a lot better, without worrying about crashing and freezing up and all that other garbage u'd encounter on a PC with Video or Photo editting and pretty much any other task.

Sorry for the Long post hope it explained it a bit more.

And yes a Mac will hook up to ur LCD Tv/Screen with no issues.

Cheers, hope that helps.

Mina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Be aware that you can have problems with both systems. The "it just works" is just marketing. It's easy enough to see that a mac computer can have it's own fair share of problems if either you don't know what you're doing or there is a defective piece of hardware in there.

That being said, the mac mini does come with a remote. You will have to purchase a monitor keyboard and mouse with it. I'm not sure the range on the remote, but I don't know if you'd be able to switch tracks from another room. Almost any computer can hookup to your Sony TV if you have the right cables or video card. I wouldn't suggest using a TV as a computer screen as the resolution on a TV is no where near the resolution on a computer monitor and will often leave the image fuzzy and "ugly" looking since the screen size is too large for such a small resolution.

What kind of audio setup do you have?

edit: I sincerely hope that this isn't considered bashing, but Apple does not manufacture all the hardware in their machines. I was putting XP on my MBP last night so I could play a few games when I got bored and when the mac drivers were being installed, you could see pretty much all the hardware. I remember off the top of my head that it had a sigamatel audio device (the same company that makes them for dell's laptops), a matashi (sp?) DVD drive, intel chip of course, and a bunch of other things. Apple just control what goes into their machines and therefore while developing the OS, can write their own drives since there's a very limited selection of hardware to write for in comparison to all the "pc" devices and hardware that can run windows. That's why it's so easy for you to run windows on a mac. OS X has all the drivers included with it, so it's not like when installing windows where you some times have to hunt for drivers for different devices when installing the os.

Reaction score
edit: Apple does not manufacture all the hardware in their machines.

This has been a known fact for as long as I can remember. IBM, Motorola, Pioneer, Samsung, LG etc. have all contributed parts to Apple computers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.