MP3 conversion

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
k, done...

now you need to determine which actual part of the song you want as the ringtone.

We'll be working in the pane below the track window, where you can actually see the wave which is the editable bit for us here.

When you've found the start of the "ringtone" just place the cursor at this point and drag to the left to highlight the section you want to remove (unless you want to preserve the very beginning). If you want to remove audio directly after the "ringtone 26 secs" then position the cursor directly at the end of your 'grab' and click and drag all the way to your right.

Lastly just press command+X to remove the audio you don't want.

Let me know how this goes.

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
Cool, I am on it right now. I will post a followup...

I successfully edited a 3min Mp3 down to 29secs which could further be tweaked.

It's all about capturing the exact 29 secs....

S

sursuciofla

Okay did it and it was a 12 second clip...Guess what...It more than doubled in time to 25 seconds. It has to be some setting I am not changing. Even though itunes says it is it is not 25 seconds in runtime which is weird.

Reaction score
Well I used the stopwatch function on my mobile to judge the 29 secs..

No trouble editing the mp3 using GB's wave editor?

S

sursuciofla

Pulse-8 said:
Well I used the stopwatch function on my mobile to judge the 29 secs..

No trouble editing the mp3 using GB's wave editor?

Haha, I am such a doofus. All is well. Thanks a mil. Wish I could give you a bunch more feedback for helping me. I did it right earlier today but wasn't counting it correctly. I am not going to even say how I was doing it because it is so stupid. :black:

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
Haha, I am such a doofus. All is well. Thanks a mil. Wish I could give you a bunch more feedback for helping me. I did it right earlier today but wasn't counting it correctly. I am not going to even say how I was doing it because it is so stupid. :black:

So happy it's all worked out!

Even if someone isn't so musically inclined it's great that Apple bundled GarageBand with iLife as it's got other uses.... :headphone

S

sursuciofla

Another of my many posts in this thread. I cut a universal ringtone but it is sort of low at it's highest setting. It sounds like a 1 setting but it is on 5 setting. Is there a way in garagband to change the pitch? Maybe one of you music aficionados can help me out?

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
Another of my many posts in this thread. I cut a universal ringtone but it is sort of low at it's highest setting. It sounds like a 1 setting but it is on 5 setting. Is there a way in garagband to change the pitch? Maybe one of you music aficionados can help me out?

G'day sursuciofla, are you talking about volume being too low....

S

sursuciofla

Pulse-8 said:
G'day sursuciofla, are you talking about volume being too low....

How's it going! Yeah volume is too low. The stock ringtones are incredibly loud but the tone I put on, the volume is really low and that's with my phone volume on highest setting. So when it is just a little bit loud in an area it can't be heard at all.

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
How's it going! Yeah volume is too low. The stock ringtones are incredibly loud but the tone I put on, the volume is really low and that's with my phone volume on highest setting. So when it is just a little bit loud in an area it can't be heard at all.

You'll need to import the ringtone (mp3) back into GarageBand and adjust the volume there....can you do that?

S

sursuciofla

Yep I imported it back in. I am reading help section at the moment so I'll let it be known if I figure it out.

S

sursuciofla

Okay so I did think I got it. It does sound a little bit louder but I guess the true test is when I port it to my phone.

Here is the help section from GB that I read:
Adjusting the output volume of a song

You can adjust the output volume of a song using the master volume slider, located below the lower-right corner of the timeline. The master volume slider controls the volume of the song when it is exported. You should adjust the output volume to a level high enough to eliminate background noise, but not high enough to cause clipping.

The master volume slider is intended to control the output, or export, volume of the song. Use your computer's volume control to adjust the volume at which you listen to the song play.

Drag the master volume slider to adjust the output volume of a song. Drag the slider left to lower the output volume, or right to raise the output volume. Option-click the slider to return it to a neutral value (0 dB gain).

As the song plays, watch the master level meters located above the master volume slider. Before you export a song, make sure the small red dots to the right of the level meters are not lit. These dots (called clipping indicators) light to show that the volume level of the song at some point is too high, which will cause distortion or "clipping" in the exported song.

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
Okay so I did think I got it. It does sound a little bit louder but I guess the true test is when I port it to my phone.

Great! Y'know my son just holds his mobile near the speaker and has recorded some pretty cool ringtones. It only takes a few goes to get it right.... :dive:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.