• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Moving iMovie projects

Reaction score
I'm using iMovie 10 on my Mac book pro using maverick. I created a one hour movie with iMovie and as all of you know, it ate up all my hard drive. I have exported ( shared) the project to a file and facing two problem.
Problem #1 :
The exported movie needs to be played by standard DVD player or blur ray player off of a DVDs. But the file ( mp4) is 8 gb and can't be recoded to a 4gb DVD. I tried convert it to avi , it's smaller and still keeps the HD ratio buy it didn't get played on DVD player. I have tried converting to anything that holds the HD ration and the file is still too large. Any suggestion on how to decrease the size but not quality ?

Problem #2 :
I'm trying to free some of my hard drive. How can I move my editable iMovie projects to an external drive. Everything I found online is related to a newer version of iMovie.

Thanks

OP
Q
Reaction score
227 people viewed this post within 24 hours...amazing....unfortunately not even one answer.
At least it makes me feel better as it looks like my question wasn't something obvious that everyone knew about but me....LOL

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 227 views were not necessarily made by our forum members. Our forums are subject to search hits from Google, Bing, and other search engines. Just be patient and if someone has an answer for you they'll respond. Since this is Sunday evening and tomorrow is a work day, it may take awhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
The exported movie needs to be played by standard DVD player or blur ray player off of a DVDs. But the file ( mp4) is 8 gb and can't be recoded to a 4gb DVD.
Don't be too concerned about that. Whatever dvd burning program you use will convert it to an mpeg2 format. More important is: how long is your video.

A standard single layer(4Gb) dvd will take about 1h 30m of video. If it's longer, use a dual layer dvd.

If you want a BluRay quality dvd, you will need an external BluRay dvd burner plus something like Roxio Toast to burn it. Your Mac will only produce standard definition(720x520/480).
DVD-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Roxio Toast 12 Titanium - DVD Burning - Video Conversion - Music and Video Capture for Mac

OP
Q
Reaction score
Whatever dvd burning program you use will convert it to an mpeg2 format. More important is: how long is your video.

the movie is about 1:30 but as soon as I insert a blank DVD, it's telling me that it can't burn it as the file is too large....

OP
Q
Reaction score
Any one knows how to move the editable iMovie files to an external drive. I'm using iMovie 10 on my Mac book pro using maverick.
My HD is running gout of space....300mb left...I need to move this iMovie file to an external drive. HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
the movie is about 1:30 but as soon as I insert a blank DVD, it's telling me that it can't burn it as the file is too large....
What are you using to try and burn your dvd? It sounds like you could be trying to burn a data dvd rather than a video dvd.

Any one knows how to move the editable iMovie files to an external drive. I'm using iMovie 10 on my Mac book pro using maverick.
You can move your entire iMovie Library file to an external drive buy drag and drop. You'll find it in Home Folder>Movies.

In the previous version, you could move individual Projects and Events, but I don't think you can do it with the latest version.

OP
Q
Reaction score
What are you using to try and burn your dvd? It sounds like you could be trying to burn a data dvd rather than a video dvd.
I right click on the file ( iMovie exported a 7.35 GB mp4 file) , and choose : Burn to DISC
when I do so, the prompt comes up saying:" this disc will be burned with the content of abc.fpbf. you need a disc with at least 7.35 GB capacity.

Anything I am missing???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.