Moved from old to new MBP, continue using old Time Machine drives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 1TB SSD
Moved to new MBP from my old trusty but obsolete MBP. I have 3 external drives which I have always rotated through for time machine backups. These drives are about 1, 2-1/2, and 4 years old respectively.

Any recommendations on how to continue using these old, or maybe just a couple of them with my new MBP. Can I just continue using them with the existing files on them, or should I re-format? Or start over with all new ext drives? If I save the existing files, will the new MBP be able to use them if needed?

I did already buy 1 new external drive and have already begun using that with the new MBP, however i want to get back into my 3 rotation.

Thank You

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would say retire the 4 year old drive, it's nearing the end of life. You can put it side, just in case you need to go back to it for any reason. Then reformat and repurpose the other two for the new machine. You did not say what the OLD or NEW MBPs were running as the OS, but it really doesn't matter. TM will force a reformat of the drive to suit. If the new MPB is the one win your profile, it will force the drive to be APFS, Case-sensitive and will ONLY allow it to be used for TM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Any recommendations on how to continue using these old, or maybe just a couple of them with my new MBP.

Personally I would keep using them but maybe use the old one to create a bootable clone using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, and then incorporate your new drive along with the two older drives as you have been doing.

You can't have too many backup drives as Jake and many others will attest to I'm sure.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1Max 16" MacBook Pro with macOS 13.2
As a fan of Carbon Copy Cloner, let me note that as yet that its maker Bombich Software does note that CCC is basically incompatible with macOS 12 Monterey and 13 Ventura because of the way those versions have split drives into a data portion and a program (?) portion. CCC is unable to exactly duplicate the contents for Monterey and Ventura drives. Please let me know if Bombich has fixed this.

So, unfortunately, to back up I have been using Apple's Time Machine which does NOT create a bootable backup. Instead what I will forced to do if I should have the bad luck to require a new hard drive or SSD--which in my case with a current 16-inch MBP will require an entirely new MBP--will be to reformat that drive using the Ventura installer (if necessary), then use Time Machine to replicate its contents to my new SSD in a likewise new MBP.

Let me also note that the next time I must do the above will be MY first time. I have never had a hard drive nor an SSD completely fail for me on/in my Macs that required me to use my backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
As a fan of Carbon Copy Cloner, let me note that as yet that its maker Bombich Software does note that CCC is basically incompatible with macOS 12 Monterey and 13 Ventura because of the way those versions have split drives into a data portion and a program (?) portion. CCC is unable to exactly duplicate the contents for Monterey and Ventura drives. Please let me know if Bombich has fixed this.

So, unfortunately, to back up I have been using Apple's Time Machine which does NOT create a bootable backup. Instead what I will forced to do if I should have the bad luck to require a new hard drive or SSD--which in my case with a current 16-inch MBP will require an entirely new MBP--will be to reformat that drive using the Ventura installer (if necessary), then use Time Machine to replicate its contents to my new SSD in a likewise new MBP.

Let me also note that the next time I must do the above will be MY first time. I have never had a hard drive nor an SSD completely fail for me on/in my Macs that required me to use my backups.
I think CCC (as well as SuperDuper!) can make a bootable clone now, but the value of that as a backup to an Apple Silicon (Mx) system is not as high as it used to be. On the Mx machines, there is a small area of the unified storage internally that is dedicated to the boot process, no matter where the boot "drive" may be. As a result, if the internal storage on the Mx Mac fails, it simply won't boot, period. And if the need to boot from an external drive is due to some corruption of the system files, that isn't needed, either. The way the Mx systems with Ventura on them work is that there is a Sealed System Volume (SSV) that is certified by Apple at the boot, using a unique hash process. If that SSV proves to be good, a snapshot is taken of that SSV and it is from the snapshot that the Mac is booted. If the SSV hash indicates that the SSV is no longer accurate, it is rebuilt from the source files at Apple, re-certified and a new snapshot is created. All of that is encrypted at all points along the way, for additional security. So, with all that, for backup purposes TM is fine. It backs up the "Data" storage area, where all of the user data is kept, plus any local modifications/applications that the user has installed to "the system" on the machine.

Clones CAN be used if you have more than one Mac available. You can boot from an external clone on a different, functional, Mx Mac. And you can have multiple versions of the macOS on external drives to boot from, if you need to.

But other than that unique situation of having an idle Mac sitting around for a backup, clones aren't as key to your backup strategy as they used to be.

And, you won't need to reformat anything on a repaired/replacement Mx Mac. It will come with Ventura installed, ready to be restored from your TM. As I said, at the first boot attempt on a new/repaired Mx Mac, it will check to see if the SSV is valid, and if not, initiate a reinstallation of the SSV and the recreation of the snapshot from which to boot the system.

So, make multiple backups of the "Data" drive, either with TM or CCC or SD!, but you really don't need the System volume backed up unless you have a spare Mac handy on which to run it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.