move my movie library

Reaction score
Is it possible to remotely store, on an AirPort Time Capsule my movies, currently on a MacBook Pro Retina. I am getting messages about start up disc being low in memory. If I could remove iMovie library off the lap top and onto my time capsule there would be lots of space.

C

chas_m

If the message that you're getting is actually "low on memory," then moving your movie library will not help. Memory and storage are two different things.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As Chas notes, 'low on memory' does not equate to "low on disk space".
One refers to RAM. The other refers to your hard drive.

Freeing disk space will not resolve a "low on memory" message.
Only adding more memory or running fewer apps will solve that message.

OP
G
Reaction score
I have only 3.7 GB free of 249.77 GB in the computer. Photos take up 62.6 GB and movies 28.1 GB. I would dearly love to move these to storage in my Airport Time Capsule. Is there a way?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I agree with ferrarr.

As a general working rule, you should have at least 15-20 per cent of your Mac HD free. You are way, way below this.

Don't put anything on your Time Capsule (other than your Backup) for reasons mentioned already.

Instead, buy an Ext HD.. They are very cheap these days, particularly in comparison with a Mac. I would go for a 500GB EHD given the amount of stuff you need to move off the Mac HD.

Moving iPhoto, iMovies, iTunes, for example, is easy and you can run them from the EHD.

Need help to do this? Just ask.

Ian

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.