Mountain Lion Help Center not working

Reaction score
Not your ISP

Thought I would bump this because I am having exactly the same issue. It seems this is a problem with Java. And in particular with something called jquery.

Java in Mountain Lion is no longer provided by Apple but by Oracle and is at version 7. It's all quite confusing but this article explains some of it.

Oracle Officially Launches Java SE 7 for OS X - Mac Rumors

I don't have the answer as I am still looking around, but I have an idea that either WebKit itself or extensions or plug ins for WebKit are using an old version of jquery.js that is mucking up the works. Would like to hear from someone if they have the answer.

jquery - WebKit issues with event.layerX and event.layerY - Stack Overflow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3 (non retina) 10.8.2
Mountain Lion Help Centre not available on Xplornet Satellite IPS

I have the same message and problem.... but only from home. I am on a satellite servie provided by Xplornet (Canada)using a Viasat satellite that was launched last October. Ruled out router (D-Link 615 - support was excellent). I also live in a rural area so not having this function is really disappointing. Conversations with Apple Care support and visit to Genius Bar did not produce any help. They were as mystified as me. However i did find reference to this problem on a website in the US,(WIld Blue World) which makes reference to the same problems with Excede IPS and that the message ..."The selected topic is currently unavailable" is a recurring theme.
Mountain Lion, Exede and MacBook - Page 2 - WildBlue/Exede World Forums

There are some rumours that Mac may be able to fix this with 10.8.3 , but i could not confirm this. So i am raising the issue again here.

Reaction score
After I upgraded my connection from 15.6Kbs to 2Mbs this problem went away… mostly. I still get the "The selected topic is currently unavailable" but sometimes after a few seconds the topic will load. If it doesn't I just use the "reload" feature over and over until it does. Now that I have had a chance to compare the "internet connection" variable I think this has nothing do with Java or jquery - silly me. This must have something to do with latency of your connection. Satellite and CDMA are both high latency connections. So is WiMax which is what I have now, but it's fast enough to compensate. This appears to be another instance where Apple is forcing it's users, all of them, to have the latest and most expensive in order to "play" with their toys. Not everyone in the world has access to high speed internet nor should they have to in order to use Apple Help. Ridiculous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3 (non retina) 10.8.2
From the Xplornet Blog: two recent comments from users: 1) "... Also, iMac Help cannot be accessed." and 2) "... Accessing Apple Help has been impossible for a long time. Why is that? " I Have e-mailed Xplornet support to see if they are planning any action. Also it appears people are having problems downloading Apple upgrades and itunes etc. and are being told to do it on non-peak hours. So i don't see this as an Apple problem. And... this is supposed to be high speed internet. However i'd rather go to the library to use my mac than give it up!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.