More of a Big iPhone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
In all seriousness, I think it could eventually come to be viewed the other way around: that the iPod Touch and iPhone were smaller, preliminary versions of the iPad.

That is a very interesting take on it !

OP
V
Reaction score
I so agree with the articles listed above.

I think future shock is what people are feeling now. It happened with the imac. "What no floppy drive?" But now people never use them. And are happier for it. And it happened again with the ipod. "What something that tiny can't be useful". But now they are one of the most popular and sucessful technological devices of all time.

And I think the ipad is the same. People are going "Oh my god it can't do this or it has not got that, panic panic". I do agree the ipad (and ipod touch/iphone) are a totally new style of computing then the average computer. And one day in the future people will wonder how they ever lived without it.

Most people are scared of what the future will bring. And how it means they way they do things currently are numbered. But I think Apple embrace this and realise one way of doing things can not last for ever. And try to be the best of the new way. So people buy their products.

I think it's amazing what Apple is doing. Take the iPhone, a really new kind of smartphone. At the beginning many people I know where all against it and said it was completely useless. I agreed. But I still wanted to buy one (Apple is very good to convince people to buy something they didn't need at all). And now, I wouldn't like to have anything but an iPhone. Apple seems to create new kind of products that nobody really need in the first place, but in the future, we will think "Man, I'm glad I have it". You know?

OP
V
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Think about it this way: have you ever fantasized about having an awesome sports car that looks real slick?

Why??

For a LOT cheaper, you could get an old pick-up truck that gets you from point A to point B at 60mph just like that sports car AND it has tons of storage space to put all your stuff in, which is also an additional functionality.

Personally, I don't understand why they don't put big truck beds on sports cars. Everyone wants more storage, so they shouldn't they do that, right??

Anyway, I think my sig says it all...

OP
V
Reaction score
Think about it this way: have you ever fantasized about having an awesome sports car that looks real slick?

Why??

For a LOT cheaper, you could get an old pick-up truck that gets you from point A to point B at 60mph just like that sports car AND it has tons of storage space to put all your stuff in, which is also an additional functionality.

Personally, I don't understand why they don't put big truck beds on sports cars. Everyone wants more storage, so they shouldn't they do that, right??

Anyway, I think my sig says it all...

So, what are you trying to say exactly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
He's trying to say is what people want is not always what they need.
They want a sports car but need functionality, boot space and something for the speed limited roads, not the race track. And the old pickup (called a ute in Australia) does everything they need for a much cheaper price then the sports car that can not do what they need.

And it's the same for an ipad. It's not what some people dream the ipad should be. But if you really look at it, it does indeed have the functionality and can do a lot of things people need to do when they are out and about. The ipad is more about forfilling needs instead of wants.

OP
V
Reaction score
He's trying to say is what people want is not always what they need.
They want a sports car but need functionality, boot space and something for the speed limited roads, not the race track. And the old pickup (called a ute in Australia) does everything they need for a much cheaper price then the sports car that can not do what they need.

And it's the same for an ipad. It's not what some people dream the ipad should be. But if you really look at it, it does indeed have the functionality and can do a lot of things people need to do when they are out and about. The ipad is more about forfilling needs instead of wants.

I agree with you. And it's what Apple did with the iPhone: they create a product, show you that you need it, you buy it and actually think "How could I have done this or that without my iPhone" :Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.