Monitors keep going black

Reaction score
I have a Mac Core 8 with two 23" monitors that I bought about a year ago.
For the last few months, both monitors will suddenly go black for no apparent reason.
The computer isn't going to sleep as the applications are still running and the hard drive still begin accessed.
(for instance, if I'm running music software, the music keeps playing) and the power lights on both monitors stay lit up.

Once the monitors go black the only way to get them working again is to power off the computer using the power button, and then restart it again several times.

Usually the process takes about 3 to 5 restarts.
The first time I restart, I get the startup chime but the monitors stay black.
The second time, maybe just the left monitor will come on.
Then on the next attempt, only the right monitor will come on.
On the final attempt, the right monitor will come on by itself, and then about 10 minutes later, the left monitor will come on as well and I can finally use the computer again.

I can't shut the computer down or I end up having to go through this whole process again.

So… any ideas on what the heck is causing this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have a spare graphics card that you can try? Sounds like it might be a flaky card.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.