Monitor suggestions wanted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@JeffL, I think you are seriously over-thinking this. I read that the UK is starting to open up. Can you just wait until you can go to a store, any store, to look at the monitors in person? I don't like buying monitors unseen as they vary so much in other ways than the technical specs. Color intensity, contrast, reflectivity, brightness, etc., are all important characteristics that don't get mentioned. You say you are are not a techie, so why are you sweating the tech specs? Go to a store, look at the options, pick the one you like best. Take the MBA with you, connect it up (the clerks should be able to assist you in that) and see which works the best for you.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One possible way to help simplify purchasing a monitor is set a maximum budget. If someone sets for themself a maximum purchase price budget of $150-$200 (£110-£145)...and gets the most they can for that budget...it will usually "weed-out" the more "fancy" & confusing display purchasing parameters.:)

Of course if someone sets for themself a really big budget...then this helpful hint doesn't help too much!;)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, 256GB 16GB memory. MBA M1 2020 256GB, 8GB memory.
@JeffL, I think you are seriously over-thinking this. I read that the UK is starting to open up. Can you just wait until you can go to a store, any store, to look at the monitors in person? I don't like buying monitors unseen as they vary so much in other ways than the technical specs. Color intensity, contrast, reflectivity, brightness, etc., are all important characteristics that don't get mentioned. You say your are not a techie, so why are you sweating the tech specs? Go to a store, look at the options, pick the one you like best. Take the MBA with you, connect it up (the clerks should be able to assist you in that) and see which works the best for you.
Yes, I think I have got myself down a rabbit hole and can't get out easily.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, I think I have got myself down a rabbit hole and can't get out easily.

I agree with Jake. I also said more or less the same thing to you in reply #25. Anyway, let us know what you decide. Make sure anything you buy can be returned for a full refund if it doesn't work out for you.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with Jake. I also said more or less the same thing to you in reply #25. Anyway, let us know what you decide. Make sure anything you buy can be returned for a full refund if it doesn't work out for you.
OK, this is what I've decided. In the next few days I will be ordering a new iMac 24" M1, Silver, 4.5K Retina, 256GB, 8GB Memory. There will be one upgrade to the base model i.e. ethernet connection at £30. Price is £1279 less £200 trade-in allowance for my 2012 iMac 21.5", so £1079 net. To cut a long story short, I did lots of research on buying a monitor, to connect to my MBA M1, including plenty of discussion with you guys on this extremely good forum:). For me the main benefit of a new iMac (instead of a monitor) is the simplicity of buying an all-in-one machine I know will work perfectly out of the box. So no worries about compatibility, no tweaking the resolution, no extra cables, no separate webcam. I might also be able to remove my desktop speakers if the 6 built-in-speakers prove to be a massive improvement on the 2 of the old iMac. The MBA, bought for when away from home, will come in handy as a second screen and will also be available for my wife to improve her computer skills (lots of scope there!). I won't even notice the higher cost as I will get 24 months interest-free credit via Apple. It's been a long slog but got there eventually. Covid hasn't helped as I was unable to visit stores to view/test monitors. Thank you to everyone on here who contributed to the discussion, very much appreciated.(y)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Congrats on the new gear. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Color me jealous—my 2015 iMac refuses to die and provide an excuse for purchasing a new one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OK, this is what I've decided. In the next few days I will be ordering a new iMac 24" M1, Silver, 4.5K Retina, 256GB, 8GB Memory.

Congrats on the decision to purchase a new 24" M1 iMac. It will probably blow the doors off your 2012 iMac!:)

One suggestion to seriously think about...don't purchase the entry level 24" M1 iMac. Apple almost always "dumbs-down" the entry level model in small ways not always noticed when purchasing.

For example...with the entry level 24" M1 iMac it has:

* 8 CPU cores & 7 GPU cores (the other 24" iMac models have 8 & 8).
* 2 USB ports instead of 4 with the other 24" M1 iMac models.
* Doesn't come with gigabit ethernet (you mentioned getting this as an upgrade).
* Doesn't come with the "Touch ID" keyboard.
* Maybe 1 or 2 other things.

If these things are not a big issue for you...no problem. But if you push forward with purchase of the base model 24" M1 iMac...please SERIOUSLY consider getting the 16GB RAM upgrade.

More than likely given your past ownership history (2012 iMac)...you will keep/use this new 24" M1 iMac for the next 8 years or more. Very high likelihood in the next 8+ years...16GB of RAM will be more necessary. Hardware demands always increase over time...even for casual tasks. In 4+ years time...8GB of RAM may not be enough.

RAM in the 24" M1 iMac's is definitely NOT upgradeable (you got to get all the RAM you will ever need at time of purchase)!

HTH,

Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on the decision to purchase a new 24" M1 iMac. It will probably blow the doors off your 2012 iMac!:)

One suggestion to seriously think about...don't purchase the entry level 24" M1 iMac. Apple almost always "dumbs-down" the entry level model in small ways not always noticed when purchasing.

For example...with the entry level 24" M1 iMac it has:

* 8 CPU cores & 7 GPU cores (the other 24" iMac models have 8 & 8).
* 2 USB ports instead of 4 with the other 24" M1 iMac models.
* Doesn't come with gigabit ethernet (you mentioned getting this as an upgrade).
* Doesn't come with the "Touch ID" keyboard.
* Maybe 1 or 2 other things.

If these things are not a big issue for you...no problem. But if you push forward with purchase of the base model 24" M1 iMac...please SERIOUSLY consider getting the 16GB RAM upgrade.

More than likely given your past ownership history (2012 iMac)...you will keep/use this new 24" M1 iMac for the next 8 years or more. Very high likelihood in the next 8+ years...16GB of RAM will be more necessary. Hardware demands always increase over time...even for casual tasks. In 4+ years time...8GB of RAM may not be enough.

RAM in the 24" M1 iMac's is definitely NOT upgradeable (you got to get all the RAM you will ever need at time of purchase)!

HTH,

Nick
Hi Nick - I took your advice and ordered the 16GB RAM for my new iMac 24" M1. I went for 256GB storage as I'm only using about 130GB. It arrived this week and I'm pleased with it. The 'Touch ID' Keyboard is great. The speakers are far superior to the ones in the old iMac and will be fine for FaceTime and OK (ish) for music for my ears at age 73. However, the sound from my Edifier E10 desktop speakers have a lot more depth of sound to them. The problem with separate external speakers with this new iMac is because of the thinness of the Mac, Apple have put the speaker socket on the side and the speaker plug sticks out like a sore thumb about 4cm. So I'm looking for an 'L' shaped connector which will be less intrusive if I can find one. Or is there a converter connector from 3.5mm plug to USB C (if that would work)? Another option, is Wi-Fi or Bluetooth speakers with at least the same sound quality of my Edifiers. Any advice on speakers or speaker connectors 27ACD221-E67F-4503-81A0-F3EB680D8BC9.jpeg C7942DB2-2C71-469B-8741-62AC7CDF2707.jpeg welcomed.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem solved! Apple do a USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter for £9.00

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.