Monitor for MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I'm looking for a high quality monitor for my MBP and would really appreciate some buying advice.

First and foremost I will be using the monitor for reading and editing texts, so it's really important for me that all text is crystal clear – preferably Retina quality. Sadly, the XDR is too expensive.

A USB-C connection which includes charging would be nice. The size (24, 27 or more inches) is not that important.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What is your budget? What resolution are you aiming for? You need to find displays that use the IPS panel.

What research have you done so far?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to better area (Other Hardware).

Thanks

Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you for moving the thread, Nick.

To be more specific I was thinking about buying the LG 24" UltraFine 4K, but it seems to be discontinued, at least in Denmark where I Iive. Now I'm looking for a monitor of more or less the same quality. I have read about the Dell 27" UltraSharp U2720Q 4K, but I haven't actually seen it, and I'm not sure how it works together with a MacBook Pro. I'm not an expert when it comes to all the technical details, but I really enjoy working on a monitor where the text is very crisp.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The best advice is to visit a shop to look at the screens for yourself. Tech specs are good, but you need to SEE what the screens can do before you buy. I would even take the MBP with me to test what the MBP and monitor together look like and to make sure the connectors all work properly.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In general 4K is fine for gaming where you aren't focusing on specific detail like text. For that, 4K is overkill and since the text size will be tiny, it will be crisp, but hard to read.

You might want to first start with a 2K monitor and then go from there.

Beyond the monitor, first check out 2K, 4K and other resolution monitors in person to first decide which one is best.

Then you can purchase a high quality monitor based on your budget. I have a couple of LG 27" 2K monitors that excellent.

Reaction score
Have you looked on Amazon where you can compare price, spec. and customer reviews? This would help you decide on 2 or 3 so you could then look at the monitors in stores.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm a big "screen real estate" person. If you have the space...get a 27" or 30" monitor!:)

In many cases both a 24" and 27" monitor will have the same resolution (1920x1080)...if this is the case...the text & other info on the 27" monitor will appear larger (which can help if the eyes aren't as good as they once were)!;)

On the other hand...I like to go with a 27" or 30" monitor that has larger/greater resolution than most 24" monitors. Many 27" monitors will have a 2560x1440 resolution...and some 30" monitors will have a 2560x1600 resolution.

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.