Monitor advice please

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for an 18 inch portable monitor for use with a Mac mini M2.
Maybe K2 gaming? IDK, always had laptops so this is all new to me.

Anything to stay away from?
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just curious...why an 18" monitor? 18" kind of an unusual size.

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Just curious...why an 18" monitor? 18" kind of an unusual size.

- Nick
Just my setup, normally laptop on my dining room table, going with Mac mini so that will give me a similar setup. Don’t want a big monitor to look over.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Understand that. Question was why an 18" monitor (uncommon size)?

19" monitors are much more common...probably easier to find...and maybe less expensive (due to it being a common size).

Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What is "K2 gaming". Do some research on monitors and then perhaps ask about specific ones. With such a generic question, it's hard to provide any direction..

Look up VA, TN, IPS panels. Look at different size monitors and resolutions they support. Look at the prices to determine what is best for your budget. Based on your expected use, determine what feature is important (high refresh rate, color correction, color re-creation, etc.). Determine what type of connectivity you'd like to go with (HDMI, USB-C, etc.)

OP
H
Reaction score
Understand that. Question was why an 18" monitor (uncommon size)?

19" monitors are much more common...probably easier to find...and maybe less expensive (due to it being a common size).

Nick
Because I can get an 18" in a portable which would lay on a table much like a laptop..

OP
H
Reaction score
What is "K2 gaming". Do some research on monitors and then perhaps ask about specific ones. With such a generic question, it's hard to provide any direction..

Look up VA, TN, IPS panels. Look at different size monitors and resolutions they support. Look at the prices to determine what is best for your budget. Based on your expected use, determine what feature is important (high refresh rate, color correction, color re-creation, etc.). Determine what type of connectivity you'd like to go with (HDMI, USB-C, etc.)
I have done research that's why I'm here. More I learn the more questions I have. K2 Gaming, K2= 2560x1600 Gaming= High refresh rate,

I have found one I like, a brand called Uperfect but I don't know anything about them.. Does look like a decent product.

Also I don't know if the better 2K resolution is worth it for me since I don't play games. Perhaps standard HD is enough for my needs. I do want a good/great looking monitor thou, but I would think anything I get now will be better then my fifteen year old Mac Book Pro... lol

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's not K2, but rather 2K referencing 2K resolution which is traditionally 2048x1080. However, the use 2K is overloaded to cover other similar resolutions like 2560x1440 (non-5k iMac default, etc).

If gaming isn't your use case, then a high refresh rate or cycle time isn't important. These monitors are also more expensive.

I generally stick with well known monitor brands that I've used for a long time that fit my budget, so brands like Viewsonic, BenQ, Samsung, and so on.

If you use the monitor for general computing, then technically any monitor will do.

OP
H
Reaction score
It's not K2, but rather 2K referencing 2K resolution which is traditionally 2048x1080. However, the use 2K is overloaded to cover other similar resolutions like 2560x1440 (non-5k iMac default, etc).

If gaming isn't your use case, then a high refresh rate or cycle time isn't important. These monitors are also more expensive.

I generally stick with well known monitor brands that I've used for a long time that fit my budget, so brands like Viewsonic, BenQ, Samsung, and so on.

If you use the monitor for general computing, then technically any monitor will do.
See that’s why I’m here, Thanks for your input and time.

OP
H
Reaction score
I did mean to say 2k, funny I would make that mistake after 35 years in broadcasting..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.