Mojave - Problems installing Windows 10 with Boot Camp

Reaction score
I need a working Win10 installation but can't get Boot Camp to install it on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015).

I have downloaded the 64 bit ISO - Win10_1803_English_x64 which is under 5GB so should work.

I opted for an 80GB partition and Boot Camp creates this then downloads the Windows Support Files and copies the files across from the ISO. It then fails saying that the Windows Support software could not be saved to the selected drive.

I've tried several supposed fixes thrown up by a Google search but nothing works. I can remove the Bootcamp partitions and revert to OSX only.

I then decided to try one last thing. When I start bootcamp it suggests a windows partition size of 56GB which I then increase to 80GB, on my last attempt I decided to leave it at the suggested size of 56GB bootcamp fails in exactly the same way. When I opened the Disk Utility app to remove the Bootcamp partitions I noticed that t had formatted it to 80GB even though I'd left it set to 56GB so there's definitely something odd going on.

Any help sorting this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless I'm not understanding what you posted, it sounds like you're trying to install the support files before installing the Windows 10. How can you install the support files (Boot Camp drivers for Windows) before Windows 10 has been installed?

OP
M
Reaction score
Unless I'm not understanding what you posted, it sounds like you're trying to install the support files before installing the Windows 10. How can you install the support files (Boot Camp drivers for Windows) before Windows 10 has been installed?

Yes, you're not understanding what's happening.

I'm not installing anything the entire process is down to Bootcamp. The first thing Bootcamp does is download the Windows support files, these are temporarily stored on the mac. It then partitions the drive creating a bootcamp Windows partition and an install partition, I believe on earlier versions of OS X this was done via a USB drive rather than an install partition.

Once the partitions are created Bootcamp then copies the windows files it needs for installation and it also copies the downloaded windows support files to the install partition and this is the point where it fails with the message Windows Support software could not be saved to the selected drive. At this point bootcamp is still putting the files it needs on the new partition it hasn't even started to install windows let alone the Bootcamp drivers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is a strange one. Does it allow you to specify where to save the Windows Support Files? I have not done Bootcamp in a few years. Way back I was able to save the Support files where I wanted to. Guess things have changed.

I will search around and see what I can find.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Cause

Apple allows Windows Installation, by first copying the entire ISO into a temporary storage area. Most of the time it works, because there is enough space available.

When we use a larger ISO, like the 32-bit + 64-bit Windows ISO, it requires about 6.5 GB just for the storage, let alone uncompressed files usage. Apple tried to download Windows support software onto that partition. This is where the issue happens. The package requires at least 1 GB, and it would not get it because of the ISO.

Solution

Use the 64-bit ISO (3.5GB) instead of the 32-bit + 64-bit Windows ISO for a x64 MacBook (all current generation ones)
Use the 32-bit ISO (3.5GB) instead of the 32-bit + 64-bit Windows ISO for a x86 MacBook (2011 etc.)

I sure hope this helps.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Dennis. I haven't installed Windows for some time (not since Windows 7 on an older iMac that I had) and forgot that Boot Camp now does things differently. At one time, the support files were installed after the Windows installation had completed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dennis. I haven't installed Windows for some time (not since Windows 7 on an older iMac that I had) and forgot that Boot Camp now does things differently. At one time, the support files were installed after the Windows installation had completed.

Same here. I found that in a search and it solved the persons issues. I used to have it copy the support files to an external USB drive.

In the OPs first post he said he had just the 64 bit installer and it was less than 5GB. I am sure what I posted is his issue but it sounds like he has the smaller ISO.

OP
M
Reaction score
Cause

Apple allows Windows Installation, by first copying the entire ISO into a temporary storage area. Most of the time it works, because there is enough space available.

When we use a larger ISO, like the 32-bit + 64-bit Windows ISO, it requires about 6.5 GB just for the storage, let alone uncompressed files usage. Apple tried to download Windows support software onto that partition. This is where the issue happens. The package requires at least 1 GB, and it would not get it because of the ISO.

Solution

Use the 64-bit ISO (3.5GB) instead of the 32-bit + 64-bit Windows ISO for a x64 MacBook (all current generation ones)
Use the 32-bit ISO (3.5GB) instead of the 32-bit + 64-bit Windows ISO for a x86 MacBook (2011 etc.)

Hi Dennis,

Now that makes perfect sense.

I know the October release of Windows 10 doesn't work because there are size issues but I'm using the April release of the ISO and according to everything I read this one should work, but it doesn't and the ISO slightly less than 5GB in total.

It may be that the error message is misleading. It's telling me the support files could not be saved to the selected drive, perhaps it should say because the disk is full.

I need to find the smaller 3.5GB ISO file and see what happens. Unfortunately a quick look on the Microsoft site only offers the October release which is massive and the slightly smaller April release at just under 5GB.

Does anyone have a link to the smaller ISO?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me see if I can find anything. will post back with a URL if I do.

OP
M
Reaction score

Same for me too.

I installed Win7 on my 2010 Macbook Pro and it was a breeze. I only need it because I do volunteer IT support for a group and there are more of them on Windows 10 now than 7 otherwise I wouldn't bother.

OP
M
Reaction score
The link you posted takes me to the same place I downloaded my ISO from and it only offers either the October release or the April release in either 32 bit or 64 bit and the smallest ISO is 4.7GB

I'm currently searching for the 3.5GB ISO

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in that URL is a name. They call it Creative something. I was hoping that would help you find what they are talking about. I will search also.

OP
M
Reaction score
I've also tried by booting to Win7 and instead of the on-line creation tool it downloads a media creation tool. I'm currently downloading the 64 bit ISO but I think it's the same as I already have.

It seems MS defaults to the latest two builds which presumably contain updates and fixes and are therefore bigger. It does not give me the choice to download an older, smaller, ISO that I can load and then run Windows update. The older files are probably there somewhere but I'm struggling to locate them at the moment.

All credit to MS for trying to make it simple and not confuse people with a multitude of options and choices but it's very tedious for people who need something specific for some reason.

OP
M
Reaction score
Update.

Using the media creation tool that Win7 downloaded rather than the on-line media creation tool via a browser I have downloaded another copy of the 64 bit ISO and this one is 4.1GB while the one done via the browser method was 4.7GB, very odd.

I've tried the smaller ISO with Bootcamp and it still fails.

I have decided to go for a more hardcore approach. Bootcamp creates the partitions OK and it seems to copy the Windows Install files OK but fails when trying to copy the Bootcamp support files.

Rather than remove all the Bootcamp partitions and restore the drive to full OS X I have quit Bootcamp leaving the partitions intact. I then rebooted holding down the option key. I then selected the Bootcamp partition and it immediately booted into the windows installer. While I have no mouse support I was able to start the installation process which is, so far going well.

I have also located where the Bootcamp support files are, it's mounted as a drive in /Volumes opening up the file contents shows several files including setup.exe

Once Windows completes the install I will copy the contents of the bootcamp support files to the windows partition and run the setup.exe manually. I'm hoping this will install all the correct drivers etc.

I'll let you know if it works.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good going. sounds like something I would have tried. Keep us posted. That should work as I used to do that with the support files also.

I am glad this thread was posted as I had no idea Apple has changed Bootcamp since the old days like this.

OP
M
Reaction score
Update.

All sorted. Windows installed without any problems other than the expected ones of the Apple device drivers not being installed.

According to Apple you can download the Windows support files separately using Bootcamp and save them to a USB device, they advise USB 2. I pointed Bootcamp at the USB drive and again the files downloaded but would not save!

A bit more searching pointed to me to a free Windows program called Brigadier https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier/releases

Rebooted into Windows 10 downloaded Brigadier and ran it and it opens a terminal identifies the model of Mac, in my case iMac17,1 then it goes directly to the apple servers and downloads the correct versions of everything required and puts into a directory it creates called Bootcamp. I ran setup.exe and up popped Bootcamp for windows which installed all the drivers and the Bootcamp Control panel. Windows then restarts and everything works perfectly and I can reboot into OS X from the task bar.

Once you know what to do the whole process is both quick and easy, the main problem is finding the correct information as the internet is full of people who have no idea what they're doing or wilfully overcomplicate stuff to make themselves look clever. Having to wade through all the crap to find the treasure is a major pain!

Here's the process:

Download the Windows ISO
Run Bootcamp
When it fails quit Bootcamp before it tries to roll back the failed install. This will leave the Windows partition complete with the files needed for the install.
Reboot the Mac holding down the Option key then select the Windows partition.
The Mac will then boot into the windows installer and the install will complete.
Download and install 7-Zip
Download Brigadier.exe
Run Brigadier.exe all the drivers and support files will be downloaded from Apple
Got to the Bootcamp directory and run the setup.exe - All the drivers and files will be installed
Reboot Windows

And that it the Mac will now boot into OS X or Windows 10 as desired.

Come on Apple you need to step up and sort this out! I've been an Apple user for decades and the best thing about the Mac was that it just worked, no messing about. That sadly is no longer true. In recent years the Mac has been plagued with more and more issues like this one.

Thank you for your help and patience. I hope this is of use to someone else.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good find and excellent detective work there. I've tried about four times over the last year to set up a Bootcamp partition and gotten a different set of issues every time all leading to failure. I'll probably try again though since I have paod for the ISO download. Besides, at this point it's starting to really annoy me. :angry

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Mason for reporting back and congrats.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.