• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.MKV High Definition to Xbox 360

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Assuming you've got the latest version of Perian I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you can't see xVid as an option.

You could take a different tack and use MP4. If you use the passthrough** option it will help maintain the quality. There's a good guide here with screenshots and helpful comments.

**Edit: you can only use passthrough if the source video is H.264 or mpeg-4 to start with otherwise I'd just convert to H.264 rather than using passthrough

HTH
mrplow

OP
B
Reaction score
ok, I followed the guide on gerard's weblog, and I only have one problem. The video file that I get is messed up. Both sides of the video are blurry, and it looks like the middle is the correct size. Know whats up with that??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Did you match the resolution with the source?

Apart from that I'm afraid I'm about out of ideas. I'm able to convert all the MKV files I have and all the samples I've downloaded to assist in this thread.

All the problems you're having seem to be to do with your source material. Not sure what it is you're trying to convert or where it came from but if you have a link to it or a way to set me a part of it I can take a look at it more directly and see about getting you a solution.

OP
B
Reaction score
When I clicked to passthrough the video, it doesn't let me change the resolution at all. I have no idea how this isn't working. Yes, I can get you a clip of the movie if you'd like, I'll send you a PM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the sample video you sent.

I can export from Quicktime Pro to xVid and DivX (defaults settings) with passthrough audio and it works fine, no discernible loss of quality - it's quite slow going though.

As per your previous posts - you don't seem to have the xvid export option so it's looks like your setup is compromised one way or another.
I'd suggest that it's worth uninstalling Perian. Making sure you have the latest Updates for Quicktime Pro. Then re-install Perian 1.1 and try again.

Another alternative is to extract the contents of the MKV container. There are a set of MKV tools and a good website about MKV in general here.

Another alternative is to use VisualHub which professes to be able to convert MKV.

Yet another alternative is MoKgVm2DVD which is specifically designed to convert MKV to DivX or xVid.

HTH

mrplow

OP
B
Reaction score
Once again, thanks for all of your help mr. plow. I will try all of those and report back here how it goes.

I don't really care how long it takes as long as i can get it to work!!
EDIT::
Wow, I really don't know whats going on with my mac. I completely uninstalled Perian. Then I got all of the latest updates for QTPro. Then I went to the Perian website and downloaded the newest version. Still, the only option i have is DivX, no XviD.

OP
B
Reaction score
I have read that visual hub does not support multi-channel audio conversion. How can I convert just the audio from the mkv file? I just want to make sure it will work before I pay for visual hub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
isn't there a plugin for ffpegx that will allow you to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have read that visual hub does not support multi-channel audio conversion. How can I convert just the audio from the mkv file? I just want to make sure it will work before I pay for visual hub.

Visual Hub has a trial you can download. That way you'd know for sure.

The tools off the site I gave previously are able to split the audio from the video.

mrplow

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Mr. Plow. Visual Hub didn't work, so I just broke down and installed GOTsent for windows. I am trying to use that as little as possible, and right now that is the only program I use on it. Oh well, it works great!

Reaction score
A solution for streaming Large HD movies to Xbox360 from an Intel Mac

I know it has been a while since this Thread was created, but I spent a decent amount of time searching for a way to stream a 10.5GB [1920 X 800, AC3 5.1] .MKV file from my Intel Mac to my Xbox 360. After a few frustrating hours and a slight headache, I discovered a way. For anyone who has come across this post and is also trying to do the same thing, here is how I did it:

REQUIRED SOFTWARE
Mkvtollnix
QuickTime PRO
Connect360

Step I
SPLIT THE MKV FILE INTO NUMEROUS SMALLER FILES
As far as I know, Xbox360 will not let you stream a MP4 file larger than 2GB. You can use an OSX program called Mkvtoolnix to split your MKV file into 2GB segments.

1.] Download a copy of Mkvtoolnix from here
2] Open Mkvtoolnix
3] In the "Input files" field, click add
4] Select the MKV file you want to split
5] Select the "Global" tab
6] In the Splitting field, select "Enable splitting..."
7] In the "Splitting" field, select "...after this size
8] Enter 2GB
9] Change the "Output filename" and/or location at the bottom of the "Global" tab.
10] Select "Start muxing"

Step II
CONVERT ALL OF YOUR MKV FILES INTO XBOX360 COMPATIBLE FILES
Since Xbox360 doesn't support the MKV file format or streaming of AC3 audio, you must use a Pro edition of QuickTime to convert to the MP4 format using the AAC audio format

1] Open the folder containing the numerous MKV files, select them all, and then open this all with QuickTime
2] Wait for all of the files to load completely
3] Now follow the directions in this video to convert

Step III
USE CONNECT360 TO STREAM THE MP4 FILES TO YOUR XBOX

1] Download Connect360 here
2] Make sure to set Connect360 to enable sharing of the folder your HD MP4's are contained in

I hope this helps anyone else who is trying to stream an HD movie

Reaction score
Still no mac app that does this quickly without a re-encode? Quicktime's passthrough method doesn't work every time. XenonMKV for Windows works every time. Why no Mac app yet?

Reaction score
Mostly right. You can stream files up to 4gb to xbox 360 though.

You do not need to re-encode an mkv file to get it to work on the xbox 360.

a .mkv file is just a container, it's whats inside that matters. Essentially you have a video stream and an audio stream, quite possibly an additional audio stream or subtitle stream in your .mkv file.

When you have extracted the files, you will have a .h264 video stream and an audio stream, more than likely ac3.

You DO NOT need to re-encode the video stream for xbox 360 to read it. The .h264 video has a "level" which if it is 5.1, as it sometimes is, the xbox will not read it. THIS STILL DOESN'T MEAN YOU NEED TO RE-ENCODE IT. Re-encoding the video stream takes a long time (if you have a comp like mine :p )
However the xbox will read the exact same video stream if the level is 4.1.
To change it you will need to download the Hexedit software. Open the .h264 file in Hexedit. Then change the '33' in the second block of code on the top line to '29'. Save the file. THATS IT. That takes a few seconds compared to hours of re-encoding. PS - If it is not '33' eg it's '1F' or '1E', thats fine. LEAVE IT. Xbox will play it.

Then all you have to do is re-encode the .ac3 audio file to a 2ch stereo .mp4 file in QT.

Now you have a 4.1 level .h264 video stream and a 2ch audio stream that are xbox friendly. They need a nice new container. So re-mux them into a .mp4 file using mp4box. :D

Points to note: Mp4box has a 2gb file size limit. Xbox has a 4gb file size limit.

I have an iMac G5 2ghz with 1.5gb ram, pretty slow these days. It takes me about 1hr to get a xbox friendly file from the original 4gb .mkv file. Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.