Mixed case on external drive

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to reformat an external disk to mixed case (text)? Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
We will need more information. Your edit for clarification didn't clarify much, unfortunately.

What are you trying to achieve?

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin. I am trying to import music from one disk to another. The m music has song titles in mixed txt case, and for some reason my other newly reformatted (for Mac) x-drive will not allow it. Says I need to reformat the disk (again) to accept mixed text case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Strange. No idea why it wouldn't allow that. However, if that's the case, you can use Disk Utility to format the drive to FAT, which will make it readable by both Mac and Windows.

If you want to check how your present disk is formatted you can right click on it and choose Get Info. The format will be displayed under General. Your best bet would probably be to format your new one so that they are identical. Disk Utility gives quite a few options.

OP
K
Reaction score
Strange. No idea why it wouldn't allow that. However, if that's the case, you can use Disk Utility to format the drive to FAT, which will make it readable by both Mac and Windows.

If you want to check how your present disk is formatted you can right click on it and choose Get Info. The format will be displayed under General. Your best bet would probably be to format your new one so that they are identical. Disk Utility gives quite a few options.

Ok Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.