Missing icon. Mysterious dots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
1) My DOWNLOADS icon is missing. It is on my Mac but icon is not at bottom. How to get it back?
2) What are the black dots below some of the icons on bottom tray?
3) After updating to Yosemite, my volume icon was missing from menu bar. I was able to get it back. Wireless icon on menu bar dim. How to make it darker?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. Right click on your Downloads folder in the side bar and select "Add to Dock".

2. The black dot below a Dock icon means that the program is active. For example the black dot beneath the Finder shows that it is always active.

3. Open System Preferences, General. Select "use dark menu bar and Dock".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Bill Jr., glad to see you're getting familiar with the state-of-the-art OS. ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Chscag. I believe my wireless icon is dim because I am connected by ethernet directly to my Mac. Info on dots I will remember.
I believe the "side bar' is when I click on finder and it brings up favorites. Right clicking on downloads only opened the items in Downloads folder, same as left clicking. Did not bring downloads icon to dock. Am I doing this wrong? Is there another side bar I am missing?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you select your "user" name in Finder that should also show the sidebar where you have icons for things like "Pictures", Documents, Applications, and so forth. That same sidebar contains an icon for "Downloads". When you right click on it, it brings up a small menu. Select "add to dock".

If your "right clicking" is doing the same thing as your "left clicking", then you have your mouse or trackpad setup wrong.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bingo! Mouse was set up wrong. Alles Gut. One other question. I have a vertical line in my dock. dual arrows, up-down. When I move it down, I shrink the dock size. Up has minimal effect. Not sure how I put it on the dock or how to remove it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bingo! Mouse was set up wrong. Alles Gut. One other question. I have a vertical line in my dock. dual arrows, up-down. When I move it down, I shrink the dock size. Up has minimal effect. Not sure how I put it on the dock or how to remove it.

OK, we got one problem solved. :) Now let's see if we can get the mysterious arrows solved. Open System Preferences, select Dock. Remove the check that's in the box that says: "Automatically hide and show the Dock". :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not mysterious - the vertical line has always been there (well, at least since 10.4) and you're not going to get rid of it.

Those arrows "allow" you to change the size of the dock "if" you want to...
That dual arrow does nothing if you don't click and drag.
"If" you don't want to change the size of the dock, you need to quit holding down the mouse button (or track pad) and dragging while you have the cursor on that vertical line.

Don't want to see the dual arrow - don't hover your cursor over that line.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That dividing line has an important function. When applications, such as iTunes or Safari, are added to the Dock they are added on the left side of the line. Windows, folders and other items are added to the right side of the line.

You might find these Dock tips helpful.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to Tom.... He's talking about the re-sizing arrows which also acts as the dividing line between folders and file icons. Moving the arrows up or down resizes the dock to the way you wish.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chscag: The box was not checked. Checking it removed the dock.
bobtomay: This is the first time I've noticed the line...after installing Yosemite. I will leave it be.
Slydude: The only icons to the right of the vert. line are Downloads and Trash. This Grasshopper will read the Dock tips.
Thanks to all you Yodas out there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.