Missing 40gigs of hd space

Reaction score
I was in the middle using BootCamp to partition my laptop and had left, but when I had come back my younger sister had turned it off. Now my computer doesnt show 40gigs of space. I was wondering if there was a way to get that back, or do i need to wipe my computer and start over?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mac book pro, 2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2G ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, 256 RAM, 160G HD @7200rpm
when i had a similar problem with vmware fusion i used Gparted to remove the partition and then started anew with a fresh windows install. the gparted homepage can be found here:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was in the middle using BootCamp to partition my laptop and had left, but when I had come back my younger sister had turned it off. Now my computer doesnt show 40gigs of space. I was wondering if there was a way to get that back, or do i need to wipe my computer and start over?

Run the Boot Camp assistant again, select create partition, restore. That should get things back to normal so you can start over. If that doesn't work for some reason, post back and we'll go from there.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Run the Boot Camp assistant again, select create partition, restore. That should get things back to normal so you can start over. If that doesn't work for some reason, post back and we'll go from there.

Regards.

If that does not work, Boot of your OS X install disc and launch Disk Utility and do a repair of the disk and not the permissions, This will fix the free space measurement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.