Miracast App

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Does anyone know of a Miracast app for OS X (in my case 10.7)?

I would like to be able to mirror my Mac OS X desktop (audio would be good too) to my TV without the need for another bit of hardware (such as an Apple TV).

I have a TV that has in built support for Miracast so I was wondering if I could get this to work.

C

chas_m

I couldn't find any Miracast-compatible software for the Mac, so I think the answer is simply "no." Check with the manufacturer to see if the TV also supports AirPlay (why doesn't *every* TV support AirPlay?), if so then you're good, otherwise you'll need the Apple TV. To be fair, it's cheap (around $80 at Costco these days, probably because a 4K version is coming) and very, very small.

And wonderful.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I couldn't find any Miracast-compatible software for the Mac, so I think the answer is simply "no." Check with the manufacturer to see if the TV also supports AirPlay (why doesn't *every* TV support AirPlay?), if so then you're good, otherwise you'll need the Apple TV. To be fair, it's cheap (around $80 at Costco these days, probably because a 4K version is coming) and very, very small.

And wonderful.

Thanks.

The TV I have unfortunately doesn't support AirPlay. I was looking for something that didn't require me to buy another device to stick under my TV (also not sure if AirPlay is supported on my version of Mac OS X... maybe it's time for an upgrade :D).

C

chas_m

Apple TV should be fine with 10.7, though eventually you'll have to upgrade of course.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You will not get Miracast to work without an additional piece of hardware from a Mac.
You won't be able to get it to work from most Windows machines without additional hardware either.

Miracast requires supported hardware. That hardware must be certified by Miracast and then the appropriate software drivers supplied by the manufacturer of the hardware for it to work.

Windows began software support of Miracast with 8.1 - but, for it to work, your network card must support WiFi-Direct (aka WiDi) - Have seen reports about needing an updated video card also - but, I'm not sure about that.

Even for it to work with Windows and a TV - both devices must have the hardware support.
There are adapters with built-in support for the receiving end.
On the sending end from an older Windows computer, you might need to replace both the network card and the video card.

Apple uses Airplay instead - which also requires hardware support - not just the software - at both, the sending and receiving end. You can find a list of the required hardware here.

Both an Apple computer and a Windows computer are going to require hardware from around 2011 forward for Airplay or Miracast.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.