Migration Assistant is not working

Reaction score
I am trying to migrate my work files from an old 24" iMac to a new 27" iMac using Wifi. Both are sitting side by side. The new one sees my wifi network and is "looking for a source". The old iMac can’t find new iMac - "Looking for other computer". I googled the issue and went to System Prefs/Sharing and made sure File Sharing was on both iMacs. Anything else I can do or do I have to do this via Target Disk Mode? Aaargh!

Reaction score
*#!%*!
Spent all afternoon trying to get Migration Assistant to work between my old and new iMacs. Old one keeps looking for the new. New one keeps looking for a “source”.
Then I rebooted and connected both iMacs with Ethernet cable. Same result. Same messages. Frustrating beyond belief!
Is there some setting I’m missing? Or what?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm sure I'm missing something simple here. In the meantime, do you have a Time Machine backup of your old Mac? If you do, Migration Assistant can read your data from that backup. I think it could also read the data from a clone of your old system.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Slydude’s solution should work fine. Personally I would prefer a clone of the source just because the file structure is the same as the source. It’s not to late to do this if you have a spare external hard drive big enough. Carbon Copy Cloner offered a fully functional 30 day no obligation trial.
alternatively you should be able to connect the two devices by cable and use Target Disk Mode.

Reaction score
I don’t use TM. I have two Clone copies on external hard drives. Do I just use the EHD as the source instead of my old iMac?
Or should I try Target Disk mode?
Everything I’ve been trying hasn’t worked. Aaargh!!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Firstly, A warm welcome to Mac-Forum and thank you for your post.

Not to sound too pessimistic especially as my friends here have been more upbeat about a solution.

I think we need to know the exact details of both Macs - Model, Year and especially Operating System (OS).

Why I'm saying this is because quite recently, I was helping my dear old friend to move all his stuff from an iMac running Snow Leopard to a brand new iMac with macOS 11 Big Sur (BS).

Time Machine from the old was totally incompatible with the new; whether one tried a direct transfer or using Migration Assistant (MA). A Cloned BU was not possible on the old system and, in any case, there would have been major incompatibilities.

In the end, with Jake's help, I was able to copy over Photos, Music, Mail and most data by copying all of these separately from the old Mac to an External Hard Drive (EHD) and then copying from there to the new Mac.

What I'm hinting at is the two iMacs may be so widely separate in terms of Operating Systems, that conventional methods won't work.

Ian

Reaction score
Ian,
My old 24" 2009 iMac has OS10.10.5
My new 27" 2017 iMac has OS10.14.6
As a semi retired graphic designer, I cannot go past 10.14 as my Adobe CS6 apps will not work. I have lot of work files and 1100 fonts that I need transferred before my old one dies. It's getting very slow.
I do not use Time Machine. I use 2 alternate back up drives with Super Duper. So, I'm trying to use Migration Assistant from a cloned external hard drive. It asks me if I want to replace the User Account or keep both? Any reason to keep both?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you've already created a user account on the "new" Mac, just hook up the most recent backup, and get the files you want using Finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Actually the last 24" model was released back in 2009!

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I don’t use TM. I have two Clone copies on external hard drives. Do I just use the EHD as the source instead of my old iMac?
Or should I try Target Disk mode?
Everything I’ve been trying hasn’t worked. Aaargh!!
In that case you should be able to plug in the clones and open them on the new device assuming the operating systems are not too far apart. Go to the files you want and drag them where ever you want on your new device. Maybe the Desktop would be easiest then put them into seperate folders from there.

This is the way I perform a "clean install" of a new operating system. Erase the HD, install the new macOS then drag an drop the files and apps I want from my cloned copy of the previous macOS. It's quick and easy and everything is in the same place on the clone that I want it on my device.

OP
V
Reaction score
Finally was able to use a cloned external hard drive and migrate all files. Some folders seem to be duplicated and I have a lot of looking through folders and editing to do.
- I can't find my many STICKIES from the old iMac. Any idea where they might be? Keep lot of notes there.
- I now have two similar Apple email accounts. Not sure which one to dump. Or can I dump both and add the primary account as a new one?
Should I REBUILD the mail account?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you actually have the Stickies app on your new iMac? If not you will not be able to open any stickers. Check your clone, drag it onto your new iMac.
Migration assistant is intended to be used at initial setup as with Time Machine backups it is part of the initial process to restore your user data performed on an empty HD. Sadly you only get one chance at this. Where setup has been completed the drag and drop method I described in post #10 is a better choice.
Honestly, if it weren’t for the amount of work required I would suggest erasing the HD and starting again.
The good side is that you have a working device. The bad side is that you are going to need to weed out a lot of duplicate data.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, Rod. Transferred everything from a cloned external hard drive.Have a bit of work to do to edit some duplicate folders.
Found Stickies from the old iMac and moved them over.
Have to find how to deauthorize Adobe CS6 apps from the old to the new.
And how to get my many Apple Mail folders from the old to the new iMac.
Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Have to find how to deauthorize Adobe CS6 apps from the old to the new.
That may be difficult, if not impossible. Adobe no longer supports CS6, and others have been refused the move from one machine to another. Adobe wants you to buy the new subscription version. But good luck with it, you may get a kindly tech rep who will support you.

OP
V
Reaction score
Jake, I am a 70 year old retired graphic designer. Still do a lot of volunteer design work. Pro Bono. And I need to access my previous design files. I cannot do that today on my new iMac. I will not pay a monthly subscription fee and have to learn about new updates. My apps work fine. I posted my problem on the Adobe Community Forum. Are you saying I could TALK to an Adobe person? Are there special phone numbers to use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would start at the Adobe website, see if there is a contact page or chat option. But don't get your hopes up too much. Just a few days ago we had someone here trying to do the same thing, transfer CS6 from one system to a new one and Adobe just flat refused. Because the software checks registration every time it is launched, it just would not start on the new system and Adobe would not change the registration.

Depending on how detailed your design files are, you might look at Affinity Photo. I'm not a terribly experienced PS user, but it can open and process Adobe file formats. And it's not terribly expensive. You can find it in the Mac App Store.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I second what Jake recommended regarding using Affinity Photo in lieu of CS6. You might have a small learning curve with Affinity and it may not do everything your CS6 can do, but it's a much better option than paying Adobe. I believe Serif (developer) has trial versions of their apps.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Again, +1 for Affinity. Great app at a very reasonable price.:);)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
"Give us money if you ever want to see your work product again." Otherwise known as extortion.
Yeah, Affinity is the way to go.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
“And how to get my many Apple Mail folders from the old to the new iMac.
Suggestions?”
Sorry Volker, I really don’t have any first hand knowledge on that one. It might come down to trial an error so just ensure you have an up to date backup so you can go back if you make an error. I’d reccomend Time Machine for this running on Auto. It’s great for incremental restoration of specific files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.