midi problems

Reaction score
I am having tons of problems with hooking my keyboard up to my mac through a midi cord. I went to garage band and went to preferences and its supposed to say 1 midi input detected, but it says 0 for me no matter what I do. I read a few forums that said to go to the audio midi setup and add a new device and configure it, but i really don't know what the heck that means. I bought a mac for the purpose of being able to hook my keyboard up to it. If i would've known it was this hard, i would have stuck with pc. Please help me out! I also downloaded a midi monitor, but even that isn't displaying what its supposed to.
My thought is that i just am not hooking it up to my keyboard correctly? theres in, out, thru and to host plug in spots and theres a switch which goes between mac, pc 1, pc 2 and midi, and I'm not sure which one its supposed to be on or if it matters.
Please someone help, id really like to get this set up and figure out the problem! thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It would help if you tell us which Mac you have - year and model. Also what version of OS X it's running. And which keyboard do you have?

Generally, attaching a Midi device to the input of your Mac will cause the Midi selection to appear in System Preferences, Sound, Input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.