Mid 2013 13" 6,2 Macbook air with new ssd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all,
I've started a new thread for clarity. I recently had a repair man replace my (bought by me) ssd. Since then, when I leave it overnight or even a few hours without switching it off, it won't start again and gets hot. I have to hold the power button to turn it off and then start it again. When it starts, I get two start up sounds and then everything goes back to normal. So now if I've finished with it for a few hours I have to switch it off. It's on High Sierra and takes longer to start and seems to be using more battery than before the ssd change.

I put the old ssd in which has Catalina on it and it worked well with no lag and went to sleep normally and woke up as soon as I lifted the lid. This was five hours after I'd closed it which would have caused that problem I mentioned before.

I have trimforce enabled and wonder if that could be an issue. If I type in 'sudo trimforce disable' will that turn it off?
The new ssd is an OWC from Macfixit Australia. It's compatible with my Macbook, but this just seems weird.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
I decided that I'd turn trimforce off. I put in the wrong password three times and then got this message:
command not found
MacBook-Air:~ Peter$ Am I blocked for a period of time, or am I deeply in trouble?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Just some suggestion...

The SSD connection cable/port on motherboard side is working, it seems. Putting back the old SSD verified that the drive side works just fine as well. It does not seem to work correctly with the OWC drive

The OWC drive could have some issues, either the port on the drive and/or something internal. I am not certain about disk test utilities for the Mac. Contact OWC and/or Macfixit to remediate the issue, if your warranty is still valid. They'll have you run some disk utilities and other level 1 nonsense, but you'll need to go through the steps.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When the old SSD was replaced with the new SSD...was everything from the old SSD cloned/copied to the new SSD (including the macOS from the old SSD)...or did the new SSD start 100% fresh (with a fresh install of the macOS)?

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies.
Cr00zng, I had the drive fitted by a repair man. I'll call Macfixit and see what they have to say.

Nick, I had to upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra because the new drive wouldn't have worked with Sierra. A note to this effect was in the packaging of the new drive. I went to the repair man, because I couldn't get High Sierra... a long story. I gave him my Carbon Copy Clone and the time machine back up and the macbook came back with High Sierra installed. I'll do as Cr00zng suggested and give Macfixit a ring.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The reason why I asked about cloning the old drive to new drive...versus a 100% fresh install. I know Apple has it's Migration Assistant...and then there's Carbon Copy Cloner & Super Duper...and for the most part these products work great.

I know many of us have been computing for a long time (myself included)...and maybe many of us upgrade every 3-5 years (on average). I probably haven't done a 100% fresh install on my main computer for a very long time (maybe over 15 years).

With each computer upgrade or internal storage upgrade (larger HD or install an SSD) I've been using Migration Assistant/CCC/Super Duper. I think after a while with successive clones like this (clone after clone after clone)...you can carry over the good & the bad from previous storage devices...and do macOS upgrades along the way.

About 2-3 years ago I installed a brand new larger spinner HD in my MacBook Pro (old one seemed to be getting slow...sometimes an indication of it getting ready to fail)...and did a clone from the previous HD (which that HD was also cloned from multiple previous computer HD's). Then a few months ago I decided to install an SSD.

After doing this...I did a 100% fresh install of the macOS...and didn't carry over any apps or files from the old HD (remember many of these apps & files were carry over from multiple HD cloning over 10-15 years). All apps were also freshly installed.

After doing this...my MacBook Pro ran much much faster. Not just due to the SSD...but all the fresh installs & no carryover of older stuff...made the my old 2011 MacBook Pro much much faster.

My point is. If your old SSD was cloned to your new SSD...the clone could be carrying over some "junk", "file confusion", preference file corruption...who knows...from the old SSD. Maybe leading to issues.

Just something to consider when tying to figure things out.

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick.

Very informative post, although I don't know how the repair man did the change over. What I do know is that the CCC and time machine back ups I gave him were done just before I gave them to him. Previous to that the macbook had never had any work done on it.

I know this is showing my computer illiteracy but I still don't know what happens with a fresh install and what happens to all the app's, or how to do it.

I will call Macfixit later when I can get through and let you know what they say.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Nick, I had to upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra because the new drive wouldn't have worked with Sierra.
Why was that I wonder? Did it come already formatted perhaps? I'm thinking about APFS Vs HFS+
Did the "Repair" man instal High Sierra along with your old cloned apps and data or did he instal Sierra?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new SSD had a note that said it wouldn't work with Sierra, so of course I tried it... it wasn't recognised. :) All I got was a question mark on the screen.

I'm on High Sierra now, but he must have used the CCC back up to then put my old app's on, which brings me back to Nicks post about old app's cluttering things up. I'm no longer worried about a couple of 32 bit app's not working because I have them on an external drive with Sierra, backed up before anything else was done.

If I can find out what a clean install involves with someone to hold my hand, I might be tempted to do that, as mentioned by Nick and go to Catalina. But I'll see what Macfixit says first. I can't try them until tomorrow now and hope to have better luck getting through.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Pete:

It's real late here in Texas but I'm still up doing some things and just wanted to tell you that doing a clean install may not be a good idea for you just now. You would have to erase the drive, reinstall macOS and then all your apps. Sometimes that can cause more problems.

Anyway, let us know how things turn out after getting in touch with MacFixit.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK thanks for that. It's too early to call MacFixit at the moment.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right. I ended up emailing Macfixit and got a reply showing me a work around. I used this and it's now back to sleeping and waking normally after leaving it turned on over night. Here's the method if it helps anyone. Macfixit.png

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry; showing my ignorance. Thanks to all that replied, it's much appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for letting us know and glad to hear things are back to normal. Enjoy your Summer down there, weather is getting colder up here. :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hot and humid is a pain for me. Get in the shower and then you can't dry yourself because you've started sweating already. Mind you, if the weather was perfect, like most people I'd just complain about something else. Does it ever get properly cold in Texas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does it ever get properly cold in Texas?

No, not too bad at all. We rarely ever get real cold weather but the Summers around here are miserable, hot and humid. My home has central air conditioning otherwise it would be even worse.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah we have ducted air too, but the pool is good, specially for sunburn. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.