Mid-2012 MBP i7 still slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
I made a post on my MacBook running really slow a while back. Since then, I have repaired permissions, repair issues with my disk and none of those things really fixed it. I recently reset the SMC on it since I figured it was easy, and it seems to have sped it up for the most part. I still get those annoying hangs when opening from sleep where the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive forcing a shut down. Then on top of that, startups are very slow, and then after I log into my account, things are SOOOO SLOW. It takes forever for me to be able to use my computer at any real good speed. The only startup apps I have are Skype and mail. I don't know why it takes so long. First the dock will show up, then after about 10-15 seconds, ill have my ONE desktop icon and the menu bar show up. The only other thing I can think of would be my hard drive failing. Other than that, I have no idea what the problem could be. Any ideas? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only other thing I can think of would be my hard drive failing.

It sure sounds like the hard drive. Check it with Disk Utility and a program such as SMART reporter which you can find in the Mac App Store.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sure sounds like the hard drive. Check it with Disk Utility and a program such as SMART reporter which you can find in the Mac App Store.

Ok ill check that out. I did try OnyX as it helped my diagnose a failing hard drive on my Powermac but when I tried it on this computer it says that this hard drive doesn't support SMART. Maybe that program will yield different results.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The hard drive in your MacBook Pro should support SMART unless it's an SSD or external to the machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The hard drive in your MacBook Pro should support SMART unless it's an SSD or external to the machine.

I know its weird. Maybe its so broken that the program doesn't even see it or something lol. Im all time machined so I'm not really worried. Its just annoying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.