Mid 2012 Macbook Pro hard drive repair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
I get this so much now. Anybody have any ideas why?

ScreenShot2014-12-22at80806PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry…but the photo is too small to read the text. But…"red" text when running Disk Utility on an HD is usually not a good sign…and it could mean that the HD is beginning to fail.

But as I mentioned…the text is too small (photo too small) to read to know what messages you are getting.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry…but the photo is too small to read the text. But…"red" text when running Disk Utility on an HD is usually not a good sign…and it could mean that the HD is beginning to fail.

But as I mentioned…the text is too small (photo too small) to read to know what messages you are getting.

- Nick
I don't know why its so small. Basically it just says that the disc needs to be repaired by running recovery. This has happened a few times just this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you actually ran Recovery mode?

Boot, hold down Command + R. When it opens go to Utitilies > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk and advise what is reported.

http://support.apple.com/en-au/HT4718

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know why its so small. Basically it just says that the disc needs to be repaired by running recovery. This has happened a few times just this year.

Make sure you keep up with your backups and be prepared to replace the hard drive at any time..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This has happened a few times just this year.

If this has happened a few times previously. A very strong indication that the HD could be failing.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I do run recovery mode everytime and after a while I have slow down issues and get errors. This computer has been SOOO SLOW since this started happening. I have been backing up with time machine since before this started over a year ago. I don't back up much, maybe once a month since it is a laptop after all and I have it with me everywhere I go. But at least its always up to date. Just did it today. I may get a smaller hard drive next time around because I want a solid state. Is that going to be an issue when restoring from a time machine back up?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No that won't be an issue really.

I don't back up much, maybe once a month since it is a laptop after all and I have it with me everywhere I go. But at least its always up to date. Just did it today.

BTW since the drive may be failing I suggest letting Time Machine follow it's regular schedule of backups. Once a month is probably not a good idea. Besides on laptops the current version of Time Machine uses some space on the internal drive when it can't connect to the external drive used for Time Machine backup.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No that won't be an issue really.

BTW since the drive may be failing I suggest letting Time Machine follow it's regular schedule of backups. Once a month is probably not a good idea. Besides on laptops the current version of Time Machine uses some space on the internal drive when it can't connect to the external drive used for Time Machine backup.

Yeah I actually have been meaning to clear that out for more space. Its a terminal command you have to run that makes it stop doing it on the internal hard drive.

C

chas_m

There's no question in my mind that that hard drive is about to die. Check your backups' integrity and get ready to replace the drive (or just save time and replace it now).

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's no question in my mind that that hard drive is about to die. Check your backups' integrity and get ready to replace the drive (or just save time and replace it now).

Yup. I think now its really starting to die. Havent used this laptop in a while because of how slow its been. Went to use it yesterday and in the middle of class I opened up a folder and it just froze and after a few minutes just shut down. Took like 3 minutes to boot back up. OnyX says the internal hard drive doesnt support smart. I constantly have to repair the disc. Its really annoying. I guess ill buy a new 2 TB drive on amazon this week. So when I get the new one, I just swap them out and then run recovery? Is that something stored on the logic board? If not that im guessing I have to run that internet recovery to restore from time machine correct?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since you mentioned a 2 TB drive and there happens to be only a single 2 TB drive in manufacture that will fit into your MBP, you do realize that you need a 2.5" drive, not a 3.5" drive? And it needs to be 9.5mm in height? A 15mm drive will not fit....

And yes, buying a smaller SSD drive could be a problem restoring from Time Machine. The replacement drive is going to need to be large enough to restore from TM. If you have 500 GB used space on your current drive that TM is backing up, you are not going to restore that to a 250 GB SSD.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you mentioned a 2 TB drive and there happens to be only a single 2 TB drive in manufacture that will fit into your MBP, you do realize that you need a 2.5" drive, not a 3.5" drive? And it needs to be 9.5mm in height? A 15mm drive will not fit....

And yes, buying a smaller SSD drive could be a problem restoring from Time Machine. The replacement drive is going to need to be large enough to restore from TM. If you have 500 GB used space on your current drive that TM is backing up, you are not going to restore that to a 250 GB SSD.
I did know abi it 2.5. I did not.know about the 9.5 mm. Thanks.
http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/8158169
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8O6OQ4/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update. I bought the 2 TB drive from amazon, put it in, restored from my time machine backup flawlessly. Not sure if im just a victim to the placebo effect but it does seem quicker.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure if im just a victim to the placebo effect but it does seem quicker.

Sometimes when a hard drive fails…it gets slow when it is partially failed. Installing a brand new fully functioning HD brings things back up to full speed!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.