Mid 09 MBP grey screen no boot

Reaction score
I was using my macbook pro last night and it was working perfectly. I came home from work today and opened it and got the login screen but the keyboard and track pad were not responding. I powered it down and started it back up and now it is stuck at a blank grey screen. It makes the chime when you power it on, fan spins at what sounds like max speed, HDD spins, CD drive spins. Keyboard does not light up nor seem functional except when trying to reset the SMC. I also tried resetting the PRAM?, tried booting from disc, booting into safe mode, pulling the battery and holding the power button for 5 seconds, everything i can find online to no avail. Specs on my laptop are mid 2009 15.4" 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM. Any help on this would be awesome. I just want my macbook working again.

EDIT: also i have pulled the HDD and swapped the ram sticks around to see if either of these were the culprit but got the same results.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

It sounds like your graphics processor may have failed. Try booting the machine from an external USB source and also try attaching an external monitor or TV and let us know the results. However, from experience, the 2009 model MacBook Pro machines with the nvidia GPU were subject to failure. If the GPU has failed, you would need a logic board replacement which could be expensive.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome and the info. I attampted to boot from a DVD and a USB drive but with no results. The disc drive sounded like it was seeking around on the disc but nothing happened. Also with the keyboard not functioning I now have no way of getting the disc out or using the boot commands to get it to boot from the usb drive or disc. I attempted plugging in an external usb flash drive but no dice there either. The caps lock button wouldnt even light up so im guessing its not even getting power from the usb port. Im saddened to hear it appears to be a logic board failure because as you said they are not cheap but at least its an easy swap once I can find a replacement. If there are any other possible problems you can think of I would love to entertain them. If not then thank you for the help and Ill start looking for a new main board.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure that you don't spend a lot of money on a logic board. Your 2009 MacBook Pro is not worth very much even when working OK. You may be able to sell it for parts on eBay or Craig's list and use that money to buy another MacBook Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.