Microsoft Windows 11 on an M1 Mac

Reaction score
I’ve been writing a lot about Parallels Desktop, a powerful app for running virtual machines that now runs on Apple Silicon Macs. In April, a short article showed how to install both an ARM version of Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux on an M1 Mac. Today I’ll show you how to test the upcoming Microsoft […]

The post Microsoft Windows 11 on an M1 Mac appeared first on Rocket Yard.

Click here to view the article...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini M1 3 monitors
Thanks for that article! Today I installed Parallels 17 on my Mini M1, and downloaded the Windows 11 Insider Preview 22489 as a VHDX file. Both installations worked out, and I was amazed to find my ancient copy of Paint Shop Pro 7 worked in Windows 11 under Parallels. For me, photo editing is the acid test of an environment. Cheers to those teams!

Reaction score
have to ask, are these ARM optimised or generic x86-64 bit OS's.
I have 2 or 3 VMWare Fusion Images that is critical for me, never mind my larger problem of VirtualBox environments... that I build, rebuild, redeploy via Vagrant
so far I keep on hearing VirtualBox <> Apple ARM platform. (would be mini acceptable if at min it ran good under Rosetta.)
G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
have to ask, are these ARM optimised or generic x86-64 bit OS's.
I have 2 or 3 VMWare Fusion Images that is critical for me, never mind my larger problem of VirtualBox environments... that I build, rebuild, redeploy via Vagrant
so far I keep on hearing VirtualBox <> Apple ARM platform. (would be mini acceptable if at min it ran good under Rosetta.)
G
I don't think any Intel image will run in a virtualized system on the new Mx Macs. I tried with Parallels, got a message that my Win10 and Win7 images were "not compatible" with the MBP. I do have Rosetta 2, but that appears only to cover the app itself, not the image. I did get Ubuntu for ARM to install under Parallels and run just fine, as did the Win 11 for ARM version that MS currently doesn't support, but which is out there. I did not try to run any apps under the ARM Win11 other than the ones it came with, but it did boot and run. If you really need Windows, either avoid the new Mx Macs, or if you do want a new Mx Mac, buy a cheap windows box for the windows needs you have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.