• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Microsoft To Close Retail Stores

Reaction score
Microsoft tried to duplicate Apple's success with the Apple Store. If you've ever been in a Microsoft Store, you've seen how desolate they were, especially compared to the Apple Store that was usually only a few doors away. Now Microsoft has given up:

Microsoft to close retail stores

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
TBH I'm surprised they have lasted this long. Microsoft has never really been perceived as a hardware company and you can't keep those stores open selling keyboards and mice. I know they have the Surface but you need more than that to build that kind of retail operation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm getting a kick out of all the articles poking fun at how Microsoft phrased this in their PR release. "Microsoft Store announces new approach to retail." That approach being to not do retail anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
TBH I'm surprised they have lasted this long. Microsoft has never really been perceived as a hardware company and you can't keep those stores open selling keyboards and mice. I know they have the Surface but you need more than that to build that kind of retail operation.

MS had been thethering to become a hardware company or not. If they didn't give up the Windows Phone, things might've turned out better for them. After all, everyone wants a smartphone, but not everyone wants tablet and/or laptops.

I am for one, who still misses his Windows phone. The Windows phone had a different interface from both Android and iOs and nice features. Like large tiles with live updates for text, emails, etc., put the smartphone face down to stop the alert and send the call to voicemail, etc. I really miss the send the call to voicemail just by moving the smartphone. I'd give up my iPhone in a heartbeat, if MS comes out with a similar Windows phone...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'd give up my iPhone in a heartbeat, if MS comes out with a similar Windows phone...

Interesting post. Have to admit you're the first person that I'm aware of who said anything nice about the Windows phone. It failed because it could not stand up to the competition from Apple and Google Android.

Not saying that MS can't build good hardware, but that they just can't seem to able to market it very well. They have had some success with their Surface notebooks, but even at that, the Surface hasn't really had the sort of popularity that MS had hoped for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Well, I know a few people who feel the same way, including my wife. There's always someone in Windows forums, who are nostalgic about Windows phones. Technology news must've had a slow week couple of days ego to come out with this article...

Remembering Windows Phone (RIP)

I had two Windows Phone from Nokia, the Lumia 820 (WP8.0) and the 1020(WP8.1). I really feel sorry that I've drowned the Lumia 820 in saltwater, but glad that I made it out from the water. Yes, Patrick, I was fishing but did get the fish... :Smirk:

Microsoft probably had an idea to own the enterprise smartphone market, when purchased Nokia. It would had worked too, if MS did delivered as planned and integrate the Windows phone with Windows domain controllers and MS applications. The idea was good, a single domain controller managing desktops, laptops, smartphone MDM, but it never materialized. The residual sale of smartphones could have been substancial as well. Some people blame Ballmer for it, does have some merritt, but I am not certain about that he's single handedly responsible.

It's the interface of WP8.x that had been ahead of the times. The other two had just slabs of icons all around and just now, they are trying group similar apps in the same folders, have live icons, etc. For some reason, I still miss its virtual keyboard as well, liked that never had to type in the .com, it always had a key for it.

I should stop by now, otherwise I end up like the guy in the linked article, crying in a corner...:'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm sad about this happening.

I was happy when Microsoft started their own stores. Sure, it might have seen like they were copying Apple, but when you really think about it, a company opening up their own store is not something new. It should be expected. The MSFT stores I've been to have always been packed. I know Apple stores seem always packed, but a lot of people are there for repairs, appointments, and seminars. I don't think I saw many people in MSFT stores doing any of that. They offered a good environment to experience everything they offer, from themselves! I hate having to buy new items from a 3rd party sellers...unless they have better deals. If I'm buying something new, and it's the original price, I want it coming from the original manufacturer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL Iggy, buying direct from Microsoft has never been anywhere near a bargain. Only one MS store in Dallas which was located in a busy district but unfortunately I never got a chance to visit it. Parking anywhere around Dallas is a nightmare and can be expensive.

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
Microsoft's first retail store was in San Francisco, downtown, only a couple of blocks from my office when I lived in San Francisco. It was in a building called the "Metreon." The anchor store for the Metreon was the Sony store. The Sony store was always packed, because you could play their video game machines for free. Sony also had special rooms for their high-end gaming systems, and displays for their cameras and other electronic goodies.

Other stores in the Mereon were a comic book store (always packed), and a store that sold sci-fi toys (also always packed.) The food court in the Metreon was wildly popular as it had excellent food served quickly.

In the midst of all of these attractions, the Microsoft Store was there. It was kinda boring. Their products were displayed in a way that mimicked the look and feel of the Apple Store, but lacked any sort of excitement. Folks would filter through, say "um hm" and leave in just a few minutes. There was steady traffic, but no one was there loitering, except at the one X-box display (with a large screen), which was always being used by young kids and unavailable.

I never really saw the point of the store. They didn't seem to be making any sales. I could have seen almost everything there at one of the many electronics stores in San Francisco. Unlike nearby electronics stores, the Microsoft Store wasn't discounting.

I get the feeling that the Microsoft Stores were a knee-jerk reaction to the Apple Stores, and that they weren't well thought out in advance. They shouldn't have tried to copy the Apple Store's look and feel, that made them look like wanna-be's. And there was nothing special about them that would have made them a go-to destination.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
LOL Iggy, buying direct from Microsoft has never been anywhere near a bargain. Only one MS store in Dallas which was located in a busy district but unfortunately I never got a chance to visit it. Parking anywhere around Dallas is a nightmare and can be expensive.

I didn't say buying direct was a bargain. I said if I had to pay the actual price for an item(meaning there's no sale or discount), I'd rather I buy it directly from Microsoft/any other manufacturer. And they do have sales all the time across their whole lineup of electronics. I'm just really nit-picky about where I buy stuff from. If something costs me a few dollars more to buy it straight from the manufacturer vs a 3rd party seller, I will buy it from the manufacturer.

A prime example of why I hate buying from 3rd party retailer is this: I needed to purchase 2 iPhone 11s for my parents last summer. BestBuy had a better deal than Apple, so I asked them for 2 unlocked phones because we travel a lot to Europe. I asked them multiple times that they need to be unlocked for use in Europe(!), and they said they were "100% confident it's unlocked". After the trip was over, I went back to BestBuy to unload on them. Somehow, they now knew that they were only unlocked to US carriers!! What a load of crap! I filed a complaint against them after they refused to do anything about it. Now I only use BestBuy to test and return. That's what they deserve. When it came time to buy my wife's new iPhone, I purchased it straight from Apple, and it was TRULY unlocked. I've never had bad experiences buying from the Microsoft or Apple store directly, or through the internet.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting observation Randy. I've never been in one of the Microsoft stores but if they all had that vibe that's a problem Especially in areas where other stores set the bar much higher.

I remember going into a Gateway store in Iowa when my wife was looking for a computer for her father-in-law. The place was basically dead and lacked any kind of excitement at all. Although there were one or two models on display, there wasn't even one of each model they offered. In fact, IIRC the model we were interested in for him wasn't even on display. Which really was the only reason we went in to the store in the first place.

They also took things one step further into the ridiculous zone. You could purchase small items like mice, keyboards, etc. and maybe the demo models at the store. If however, you wanted a model that wasn't in the store you had to pick up a phone in the store and place the order that way. There was no reason for anyone remotely familiar with the Gateway line to go into that store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
... at how Microsoft phrased this in their PR release. "Microsoft Store announces new approach to retail." That approach being to not do retail anymore.

One has to give the MS PR department some credit for the good and careful wording. It's actually quite clever.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I remember going into a Gateway store in Iowa when my wife was looking for a computer for her father-in-law.

The local "Cow Box" (Gateway) store lasted about one year or so around here. I never visited it even though it was close to a local Mall which my wife loved to shop at. I believe after Gateway sold out and closed their stores, their name and items were picked up by CompUSA. CompUSA sold out in 2007 and eventually was bought by Tiger Direct.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When my wife shifted back to PC from Mac that computer was a Gateway and every one she has had since has ben a Gateway. Her current one was purchased after that seres of sellouts occurred.

We had stuck with them because as Gateway their service/support was probably closer in reputation to Apple's than most PC makers. One of their techs spent several hours on the phone with her once helping to get the system back up and running after a major problem.

I broke the DVD try in a two or three day old Gateway once and called to have them ship a replacement drive. I was fully expecting to pay since it was my fault. After hearing the problem, the rep offered to send one free. I again volunteered to pay since It was my fault. His response was something like "It came broken didn't it sir?" The next time I offered to pay the guy says, "Sir, you don't understand, it came that way." The third time I got the hint. By contrast, since someone else owns it now, we were forced to send it to Texas for an in warranty video board replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I remember the gateway store where I bought my first legit computer. With the box cow logo in front of the store. The computer that somehow won me over was advertised on TV as a complete package (tower, monitor, speakers(Cambridge speakers that I remember really liking), keyboard, and mouse) and at that time I remember thinking it was kind of expensive. I believe the one I bought was either $1200 or $1400, and it was the top package you could choose from in that series with all the applications included in a multi-cd case. For the life of me I can't remember what model it was, but I could point it out if it was pictured.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
copying apple still after all these years. lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Anything here look familiar...??? :D

gateway computer image - Google Search
- Patrick
======

YEP!!! That video on the right!

YouTube

This was the actual commercial I was talking about! This was the base series of the computer package.
NOTE: The actual computer parts came in like 4 HUGE boxes! Not the single one the way it's represented in the commercial.

It's very interesting reading all the "this was my first computer" in the comments.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.