• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Microsoft retail stores to 'rival' Apple's

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...Edit: I know there are others on here that use many different OSes and computers. Does anyone get annoyed with people just straight out bashing things like Windows. It's the same on other computing forums where people start talking trash about OS X.

Kind of depends if their points are valid and if they actually have experience and know what they are talking about.

IE. If they never have tried it themselves and just jump on the bandwagon then yes that annoys me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I compute smart so I don't have to worry about viruses.

Yes maybe you are "compute smart". But a lot of others out there are not. And with OS X even those with little computer knowledge are protected from the viruses out there.

Does OS X come with drive encryption software? Ultimate does.

Very true. But a quick google search can get you some nice free drive encryption options for OS X. And for those people who worry about this worry of thing should be smart enough to use google. Well one would hope.

Does anyone get annoyed with people just straight out bashing things like Windows.

Yes. Just as I hate the straight out OS X bashers. There are a lot of people who post their computer problems on forums. But there are a lot more who are happy with their computers (be it PC or Apple) and do not post "oohhh no problems here I love my computer".

And complaining is a good thing. If no one complained how would the likes of Apple, MS etc know what the public want and don't want, like and don't want etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook Pro 15 in. 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4g ram DDR3 and 320gig HDD
There is no way that this could be NEAR as successful as the apple stores.

Whenever I go to the apple store its jam packed with people.

I just believe that there wouldn't be any "competition"

Reaction score
Sheesh. They employed David Porter from Wall-E-Mart ( ;( ) to be their corporate vice president.. That's pretty desperate...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Sheesh. They employed David Porter from Wall-E-Mart ( ;( ) to be their corporate vice president.. That's pretty desperate...

I curious to see how that is going to work out for them. Even if it is a desperate move...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Kind of depends if their points are valid and if they actually have experience and know what they are talking about.

IE. If they never have tried it themselves and just jump on the bandwagon then yes that annoys me.

Or posts like this?

Wonder if the interior color will be BSOD blue.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or posts like this?

Well I don't know what people are doing to their computers because I've never encountered the blue screen of death from Windows 95 to the current Vista.

I did however see it on a gas station TV. I thought it was a little comical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Well I don't know what people are doing to their computers because I've never encountered the blue screen of death from Windows 95 to the current Vista.

I did however see it on a gas station TV. I thought it was a little comical.

BSODs are pretty rare. It's usually caused by hardware problems anyways, so that would technically make the issue the hardware manufacture's fault, but then again, just blame it on windows. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 2.26 GHz, 2GB, 160GB. iPod touch 2nd gen, 8GB, 27" Core i7, 8GB, 1TB iMac
A PC is cheaper than a Mac. But is it? I've recently bought a new MacBook Pro, and it's also my first Mac. Have a look online though. The specs vs the price. There are many cheap PC's available of a low spec that aren't really fit for use they run so slow. Plenty of RAM, but people seem to use RAM to gage how fast a PC is. Side by side, a laptop with a processor that matched the MacBook Pro's base config 13" model, not really cheaper. All I could find as a rival was the Dell XPS, with much lower battery life, plastic construction, weighed more and doesn't look anywhere near as nice. Find me a new laptop with the spec that matches a Mac, and then look at the price. Not to mention the additional RAM the XPS had will have been torn to shreds by Vista. I have a desktop PC, not even a year old, with 4 gigs of RAM, an Intel core 2 quad processor running at 2.66 GHz and a 500 GB HDD. Running Vista, even when new it's slower than my Mac, which has half as many processing cores and half the RAM.

Dell XPS M1330 - 2.0GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, 13" glossy Screen, Vista Home Premium, 9 Cell Battery (still only 3-4 hours life, according to reviews), Integrated Graphics, Wireless N Network card. Total, off the shelf price inc VAT and Delivery, £998.99. ($1637.24)

MacBook Pro 13" - 2.26GHz Processor, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD, 13" glossy Screen, OSX Leopard, 7 Hour Battery, Integrated Graphics and Wireless N Network card. Inc VAT and delivery, £899.00. ($1473.77)

Mac has slightly higher spec, much better looks and the best keyboard and touch pad I've ever used, is lighter if I'm not mistaken and has a much better OS.

Side by side shops - I agree. Go with the cheaper bargain next door. To the Microsoft shop that is. Get a Mac.

Reaction score
A PC is cheaper than a Mac. But is it? I've recently bought a new MacBook Pro, and it's also my first Mac. Have a look online though. The specs vs the price. There are many cheap PC's available of a low spec that aren't really fit for use they run so slow. Plenty of RAM, but people seem to use RAM to gage how fast a PC is. Side by side, a laptop with a processor that matched the MacBook Pro's base config 13" model, not really cheaper. All I could find as a rival was the Dell XPS, with much lower battery life, plastic construction, weighed more and doesn't look anywhere near as nice. Find me a new laptop with the spec that matches a Mac, and then look at the price. Not to mention the additional RAM the XPS had will have been torn to shreds by Vista. I have a desktop PC, not even a year old, with 4 gigs of RAM, an Intel core 2 quad processor running at 2.66 GHz and a 500 GB HDD. Running Vista, even when new it's slower than my Mac, which has half as many processing cores and half the RAM.

Dell XPS M1330 - 2.0GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, 13" glossy Screen, Vista Home Premium, 9 Cell Battery (still only 3-4 hours life, according to reviews), Integrated Graphics, Wireless N Network card. Total, off the shelf price inc VAT and Delivery, £998.99. ($1637.24)

MacBook Pro 13" - 2.26GHz Processor, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD, 13" glossy Screen, OSX Leopard, 7 Hour Battery, Integrated Graphics and Wireless N Network card. Inc VAT and delivery, £899.00. ($1473.77)

Mac has slightly higher spec, much better looks and the best keyboard and touch pad I've ever used, is lighter if I'm not mistaken and has a much better OS.

Side by side shops - I agree. Go with the cheaper bargain next door. To the Microsoft shop that is. Get a Mac.

hmmm you must be getting royally screwed then in the UK because that dell you list would be 850 dollars stateside with a 500gb drive, 4gb RAM. At least stateside Macs are more expensive at the register.
Are Macs worth the premium, it depends on your needs. Might the Mac last longer perhaps too, but lets be real about that as well. Who really keeps any computer more than 2-3yrs with the rate they advance.
But this is all really beside the point because its comparing hardware, something that microsoft doesn't even make directly.
So when you put it all together, MS finally has an ad campaign that sticks (that pc's are cheaper, true or not you can argue all day but most believe this especially the public), they hire David Porter, and are opening stores right next to apple... anyone see a plan here? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 2.26 GHz, 2GB, 160GB. iPod touch 2nd gen, 8GB, 27" Core i7, 8GB, 1TB iMac
I suppose the thing to remember is that there is a lot of decent Microsoft hardware, and as well as this, Microsoft will probably be selling their own products which remain unrivaled by Apple. Microsoft is primarily a software company, and accounting, office, and coding software that they make is of a good quality. I've only been in one Apple store before, but what was primarily on offer was hardware. iPods, Macs and Apple TV. A little healthy competition can be great for the consumers as well. Microsoft is nearly always preceded by Windows, which is just a piece of the pie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Who really keeps any computer more than 2-3yrs with the rate they advance.

A lot of people do. A lot of people still have G5's. And I have a white C2D imac still. Why? Cause it still does the job I need it to. And yes the fact Macs are good for 5 years maybe more is another if it's selling points unlike most PCs.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A lot of people do. A lot of people still have G5's. And I have a white C2D imac still. Why? Cause it still does the job I need it to. And yes the fact Macs are good for 5 years maybe more is another if it's selling points unlike most PCs.

To an extent yes, if we are talking about notebooks. Desktops are a different story.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Wonder if the interior color will be BSOD blue.

To me that would be a good thing since Blue is my favorite color! It would make me want to visit the Microsoft store! :D

With Windows 2k and above the only BSOD's I have ever had/seen were caused by serious hardware faults. Back in the 95 days the BSOD was more common but not with the NT core OS's like 2000, XP, Vista.

I am curious like others as to just what they will sell besides their software products, Zune, Xbox, Accessories at their stores.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To an extent yes, if we are talking about notebooks. Desktops are a different story.

Actually I keep my imacs (and previous desktops) on average 5 tears before I replace them. My current mac is about 3 years old and I have no intention to replace it now, as it still does everything I need it to. And I know a lot of people in the same situation too.

But yes you are right, desktops are replaced sooner then notebooks on average. But there is always the exception to the rule. And I think there is enough exception to the rule with Apple users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Actually I keep my imacs (and previous desktops) on average 5 tears before I replace them. My current mac is about 3 years old and I have no intention to replace it now, as it still does everything I need it to. And I know a lot of people in the same situation too.

But yes you are right, desktops are replaced sooner then notebooks on average. But there is always the exception to the rule. And I think there is enough exception to the rule with Apple users.

Now that I have my gaming rig setup, I'm just going to be replacing components as needed. New mobo and chip when the i5(I think that's what they're going to call it) comes out, another GPU or two new ones when they come out, faster memory, etc...

Edit: And the whole reason I was posting in this thread....

:D
20090720.jpg

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Umm that's not really what I was getting at. I said it was a different story because you can upgrade your components on desktop computer.

You can do this on Mac to an extent (Mac Pro).

@ Village that is a very nice comic you have there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" Unibody

I agree. These days it's hard to keep up with the technology. i find myself replacing mac's every year or so.

Reaction score
I tend to agree with a couple of posters here. What are they going to sell in the stores. Are they going to sell hardware if so what and who's. I can't see any point otherwise.

I think Apple stores worked for Apple as they had a poor presence on the high street. PC machines were and are everywhere, from computer stores to supermarkets.

Microsoft aren't stupid, but I just can't see the point. Maybe all will be clear when the first stores open

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.