• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Microsoft: Longhorn to arrive in 2005

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Longhorn vs. Linux 2.6

Source: eWeek

'Longhorn' vs. Linux 2.6
November 3, 2003 The stage is set for a showdown between 'Longhorn' and Linux systems, as Microsoft, Red Hat and SuSE kick off a war of words.

On the same day last week that Microsoft Corp. officially spoke about "Longhorn," the next version of Windows, Linux creator Linus Torvalds moved a step closer to the final version of the 2.6 Linux kernel with the release of the test9 version.

The final version of the 2.6 Linux kernel is expected to be released by year's end, though officials for leading Linux distributors Red Hat Inc. and SuSE Linux AG said that kernel is unlikely to be incorporated into their products for at least a year. Microsoft, meanwhile, will say only that Longhorn is at least two years away from shipping. more

My Comments: anything longhorn can do, mac OS can do better ..... and has probably been doing those things for the last 3 years :D

M

Mr.Guvernment

Amen-Moses
- Actually Windows and MAC are alot alike due to some contracts made back in the starting days of windows - more or less M$ got permission to use Apple's idea's but M$ started to take them all - Apple took M$ to court but M$ won due to the contract apple had made - i think all but 1 technology could not be used by M$ - so - M$ has every right to use what Apple does - or did, not sure what any current contract maybe - So in the end it is Apple who shot them selves in the foot.

i Shall try to find the site with that info.

Anyways - i am a hardcore Pc'r - but i KNOW that MAC O/S X is superior to anything M$ / Windows will likely put out - why, because it is Unix based - simply as that!

I was lucky enough to get a hold of the early longhorn Alpha releases - of course it was nothing more then XP with a new interface and a few new layouts - so can not judge it very well - but it looks to be impressive to some degree.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Mr.Guvernment said:
Amen-Moses
- Actually Windows and MAC are alot alike due to some contracts made back in the starting days of windows - more or less M$ got permission to use Apple's idea's but M$ started to take them all - Apple took M$ to court but M$ won due to the contract apple had made - i think all but 1 technology could not be used by M$ - so - M$ has every right to use what Apple does - or did, not sure what any current contract maybe - So in the end it is Apple who shot them selves in the foot.

i Shall try to find the site with that info.

Anyways - i am a hardcore Pc'r - but i KNOW that MAC O/S X is superior to anything M$ / Windows will likely put out - why, because it is Unix based - simply as that!

I was lucky enough to get a hold of the early longhorn Alpha releases - of course it was nothing more then XP with a new interface and a few new layouts - so can not judge it very well - but it looks to be impressive to some degree.
See. See. SEE?!
Newbies!!!!! PC WEENIE!
its not a MAC, its a Mac. MAC stands for Media Acess Control. Mac is short for Macintosh. GET IT RIGHT.
and its not MAC O/S X, its Mac OS X. NO SLASH. NO CAPS ON Mac!!!!!
sorryy... its a pet peeve of mine... heh.

M

Mr.Guvernment

Mac dude said:
See. See. SEE?!
Newbies!!!!! PC WEENIE!
its not a MAC, its a Mac. MAC stands for Media Acess Control. Mac is short for Macintosh. GET IT RIGHT.
and its not MAC O/S X, its Mac OS X. NO SLASH. NO CAPS ON Mac!!!!!
sorryy... its a pet peeve of mine... heh.

hehe, it's okay, dont cry ;)

i just recall back in school - grade, mmm 9 that it was alwasy MAC's and it was always MAC O/S - i guess times change :) - well, that was about 7 years ago

as the O/S is short form for Operating System that there had to be some distinguishing character inbetween so people would not pronounce it

OSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

:D

Mac' OS

i shall try to remember this from now on u Mac weenie :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
*laugh* Good to see some good natured ribbing going on :)

M

Mr.Guvernment

hehe

life is too short to take everything seriously - actually, life aint short, your just dead for too long :)

i am a PC weenie - just like many here are MAC ;) weenies - but i am not some hardarse PC weenie like most of them. - Maybe is cause i ma libra and have to see things from both sides :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah Im a Libra also so maybe that's why I can appreciate it :)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Mr.Guvernment said:
hehe

life is too short to take everything seriously - actually, life aint short, your just dead for too long :)

i am a PC weenie - just like many here are MAC ;) weenies - but i am not some hardarse PC weenie like most of them. - Maybe is cause i ma libra and have to see things from both sides :D
AHHHH!!!!!!
Mac Dude said:
\ :mad: :mad: :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
my pet peeve is that people call anything apple makes a Mac. The G5, iPod, Powerbook, iBook, etc are Apple computers, not Macintosh computers. Macintosh is a line that Apple made. If Apple and Macintosh were interchangeable then the computer released in 1984 could also be called the Macintosh Apple, which is a type of fruit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess the way that I look at is.. if they have come to the light.. I don't care what they call it, they like it, they'll spread the word, we'll get better products and we'll all be happy people :) Sometimes it can be confusing, but the purpose of language is communicate.. if one person has confused the other then language has not worked and something needs to be corrected. If the other person does understand what the person is saying, but they realize their use of language might help someone else stumble, then why not gently and with great care, explain to them the difference. It's about communication.. that's the beauty of it.. if the majority of people start calling all apple products macintosh then eventually that will become the term for Apple products.. why? because that's how they are communicating and how people are understanding..

Just a couple thoughts from the peanut gallery :)

M

Mr.Guvernment

^^^^ very true.....

But like many thing sin life, when something changes people tend to still use the old terms or what they were used to using / knowing.

i guess it is easier for most from the old days - since many dont pay that much close attention to the names or proper terms used by apple for it's various products.

Especially PC people as u got 3 things really - laptop / desktop / server.

when someone says Mac - they know u mean apple - or those computers with the purdy cases ;)

It would be the same if MS changed their O/S from Windows to Doors, people would still call it windows for years to come.

heck people think windows includes Office and other products, so it is the same in the PC world in many cases as well.

it is usualyl the less knowledgble people who use refernces like that.

Also, Mac is faster to type then apple. and machitosh apple would be a fitting name, as it is all fruits over their running apple anyways ;)

hehe, had to throw that one in :D - yes, it was a joke! so dont start no flame wars.

M

Mr.Guvernment

interesting www.mac.com points to a site that says: (maye i am reading into it too much)

nonmember_stagetop3.gif

So even Apple is refering to people as the "Mac user"

"internet essentials designed for the Mac user"

If it is the first t ime to their site - they are not refering to me as a .mac user as if so, they would say:
"internet essentials designed for the .Mac user"

but in general a Mac user is what they state - so one would assume they are refering to the fact that i own an Apple computer system - yet they refer to me as a "Mac user," not an Apple computer user.

So apple them selves are the ones who also contribute to people refering to thesir systems as Mac's.

:d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was going to say that you misunderstood him, but then I realized no you hadnt.. I had misunderstood him! All computers that run the "Mac" OS is a Mac computer.. I think the point MacAddikt said was that even iPod's they call a Mac, but then again.. on that line of thinking.. it does say Mac formatted and PC formatted, but then that's just what file system they are using..

So in other words Macs encompass all computers that run the Mac operating system and then if you want to get specific when talking about Macs you say iBook, Powerbook, iMac, etc etc..

What a fun convo! :)

M

Mr.Guvernment

hehe, is all fun - and good to learn new things, - i think your explination covers it good :)

mac is a term your everyday people use - but people who know their stuff - tend to be mroe details and use the proper terms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
many of whats been published on the web about Longhorn has been questionable, and turns out much of it was untrue. Paul Thurrott's The Road to Windows Longhorn 2003 page shows some screenshots, and details all the information about MS's new Longhorn OS.

a big rumor has been about the new file system, but it turns out, MS plans to stay on a different path with the NTFS

NTFS will be the only supported file system in Longhorn, from a setup and deployment standpoint, though the OS will, of course, continue to support legacy file systems like FAT and FAT32 for dual-boot and upgrade purposes. The oft-misunderstood Windows Future Storage (WinFS), which will include technology from the "Yukon" release of SQL Server, is not a file system, Mark Myers told me. Instead, WinFS is a service that runs on top of--and requires--NTFS. "WinFS sits on top of NTFS," he said. "It sits on top of the file system. NTFS will be a requirement."

many of the features described on the page sound like cheap knock offs of our already revolutionary OS X.

Window transparency

In Longhorn, windows can be provided with virtually unlimited levels of transparency (Figure), and naturally, this effect can be applied in tandem with other effects. "Transparency is possible in Windows XP using the layered windows function," Hammil admitted. "But a lot of apps don't use those services because the performance is bad. GDI doesn't support hardware acceleration for the most part. But now, because of DCE and its support of 3D hardware acceleration, we can deliver transparency at literally no performance penalty.

sound familiar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
MacAddikt said:
many of whats been published on the web about Longhorn has been questionable, and turns out much of it was untrue. Paul Thurrott's The Road to Windows Longhorn 2003 page shows some screenshots, and details all the information about MS's new Longhorn OS.

a big rumor has been about the new file system, but it turns out, MS plans to stay on a different path with the NTFS

many of the features described on the page sound like cheap knock offs of our already revolutionary OS X.

sound familiar?

So they are making OSX big deal, we already have it.

C

chaotic light

Didnt microsoft promise 3d graphical elements in the next vershion of windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yeah, itl prolly have the core for it but wont be enabled for a while.. (or so i would think)

C

chaotic light

Graphite said:
yeah, itl prolly have the core for it but wont be enabled for a while.. (or so i would think)

Because....that makes sense.
Wait to go mircosoft. I think I'm gonna go install linx on my xbox now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.