metal body

Q

quackbook

Hi, I was wondering if anyone makes a metal shell body taht I can use to replace the plastic body on the macbook.

The case flexes more than I would like and I find to be very undesirable.

After using a 12inch powerbook, I really see a metal shell for a macbook is the way to go.

thanks

OP
Q

quackbook

i guess everyone here is pretty satisfied with the overly flexible body on their macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I love the MacBook, but yes they do flex around the Port Plugs and the other issue with me is the "Sharp Top Edge"
But it the best computer other than those two issues that I have owned.
I love my MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
o dont know and yer i guess i would like to swap my case out even just for a new white one to keep it looking grate like every 6months or something but i havent seen anywhere selling them and it will void your warenty

OP
Q

quackbook

yes, i have seen those plastic shells.

I am not merely talking about adding a metal shell though, i am talking about removing all the pastic body from the macbook and replacing it with metal.

I want my macbook to feel solid like a 12" powerbook.

Reaction score
its more solid than your powerbook you have to realize rigid things are bad i.e. metal, flexible i.e. polycarbonate plastic is good because it can give and besides scratches, it is more forgiving, ooooooo the power of plastic!

OP
Q

quackbook

i don't intend on dropping my macbook so i don't need it to absorb impact, if that's what you're saying.

i like the idea that my macbook will be more rugged when i decide to take it somewhere just stuff and go.

i can see the flex of the body giving to the point where it can damage the circuitry in the macbook. for instance, a bunch of textbooks crushing the circuitry while taking you macbook to school

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Other than custom work, I've never seen it before. If you wanted the metal body you should have bought a Macbook Pro, because if you think about, between purchasing a custom metal case, and it's installation, it probably would have cost the same amount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
i can see the flex of the body giving to the point where it can damage the circuitry in the macbook. for instance, a bunch of textbooks crushing the circuitry while taking you macbook to school
If that is your main concern, the casing of a PowerBook/MacBook Pro is much weaker and much more pliable than that of an iBook/MacBook. The case from the PB/MBP will likely succumb to pressure long before that of an iBook/MacBook.
Besides, it would take a heck of a lot of textbooks to cause any damage to either notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
If that is your main concern, the casing of a PowerBook/MacBook Pro is much weaker and much more pliable than that of an iBook/MacBook. The case from the PB/MBP will likely succumb to pressure long before that of an iBook/MacBook.

ive had both and couldnt disagree with this more.

like others have said, you shouldve either bought a mbp, or will probably have to wait for apple to make a 13in metal bodied laptop (which may never happen)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ive had both and couldnt disagree with this more.

like others have said, you shouldve either bought a mbp, or will probably have to wait for apple to make a 13in metal bodied laptop (which may never happen)
I've had both as well. :)

My iBook never once showed any sort of strain, bending, warping, or any case damage at all.
My PowerBook has all sorts of little bends, twists, dings, and dents on it.

I have also seen quite a few people here at my school with iBooks/MacBooks and PB/MBP's.... of all the casese I have seen, more strain and damage shows on the PB/MBP's and virtually none to the iBook/MacBooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
here's to hoping they refresh the pro's and finally give it the new case it deserves!!!

:)

OP
Q

quackbook

i think the MBP has a very cheap weak case; all of them. which is also the reason why i optioned for a MB instead.

When I talk about the PB, I am talking about the 12" PB which has had a solid feeling the bigger PBs can't even compare to.

I am not counting on Apple making a metal body small laptop. This it the reason why I am asking for a metal body conversion on the MB.

With metal of equivalent thickness of the plastic on the MB, it will feel like a tank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
What one earth are you doing with it that the case is flexing? I do the following, nearly every day:

- Open and close it
- Swap it between my lap and the table
- Pick it up by the front corners, with the lid up
- Slide it in and out of it's Speck case
- Type

I've never had cause to worry about it's flexibility at all. Mine has a Speck clear case, but even so, I've seen no evidence of undue flexing.

Just be careful with it the same as any other notebook. If you think the MB is flexible, you should see a few cheap PC notebooks... those ARE cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17
is there a place where I could get new casing of the MBP?
I got a small tiny dent on the memory slot area
Thanks

Reaction score
I don't understand what people mean by saying the Macbook has a flexy, bendy case. It feels tough, sturdy and robust to me. Not that I've tried to bend it of course hehe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
my macbook takes a bit of a beating and stands up to it

i will grab laptop from my desk stick it in bag it get banged about walking down the street till i get on the bus and it is still getting banged about then at college get use and moved alday in and out of bags then home agen.

i take it to work with me and it has been droped one or 2 times and i have not had any problems with it i got the macbook over the pro as it just seams more like a laptop for people that run about and need something powerfull but that can go with them every day.

my friend has a pro and has had so many problems with the case he is going to get a macbook as soon as he ebays the pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17
well...totally agreed with proxy..
The MBP case is so flimsy... even the slightest bump will leave a mark on the case...my side is peeling really badly too... will need to replace the top case soon =(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.