Message from Adobe for real?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Safari gave me this message:
Thank you for using Adobe Flash Player. Adobe's support for Flash Player will end on December 31, 2020. Please see the Adobe Flash Player EOL General Information Page (link) for more details. If you do not need to access Flash content, we recommend that you remove Flash Player from your system by clicking on the Uninstall button below.

Just in case this is a spoof trying to snare people somehow, I thought I'd ask. I did a search here, but didn't see a title that looked like it would address this.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well the question is whether you have Flash installed, if you're getting that message from Safari, you might. So that's probably legit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just in case this is a spoof trying to snare people somehow, I thought I'd ask. I did a search here, but didn't see a title that looked like it would address this.

The message is real and is from Adobe. They (Adobe) have been displaying that same message now for at least the last 3 months. Like Ashwin stated, if you have Flash installed, that message appears.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Interesting, is Flash player still necessary? I don’t have it but obviously some do.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Interesting, is Flash player still necessary? I don’t have it but obviously some do.

A couple online games I play still use Flash...but these games have also indicated that the flash version of the games will no longer support Flash after end of year.

The downside I've experienced...the html 5 version's of these games have poorer performance on older Apple hardware.

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
I assume if one uninstalls the Flash Player and then finds out they need it later for whatever reason, it won't be available to reinstall again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I assume if one uninstalls the Flash Player and then finds out they need it later for whatever reason, it won't be available to reinstall again.

That's also the impression I get from what Adobe has clearly stated about ending its support for Flash.

My advice is if you think you will need to use Flash in the future (online games, graphics, etc.) is to leave it installed. It takes up very little storage space and memory.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Something to remember if you're planning on a "clean" instal which is incidentally, how I removed it (unintentionally) when I upgraded to Mojave. I've only had I few notifications from websites that Flash was required, non of which were essential in any way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini Quad i7 16G 2TB SSD ; 2008 MBP 2.94GHz 4GB/500GB SSD
Is it just me or is HTML 5 actually worse than Flash in many respects, especially in the sense that it allows things like ad blocker detection (to deny you access to the site without turning it off), jumping pages (as ads constantly load and resize in real time) and generally seems to favor giant corporations forcing you to view crap while Flash was at least optional. I also don't recall seeing so many giant pop-up flashing page jumping ads (to the point where the sites are unviewable without and ad blocker yet they won't let you view it with one, leading me to avoid 2-5x as many sites as were "Flash Only" back in the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is it just me or is HTML 5 actually worse than Flash in many respects
Flash is a security risk. If you want to stop so many ads, look for content blockers for each browser you use. I have AdBlock, AdGuard, and Ghostery installed on Safari, Firefox and Chrome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini Quad i7 16G 2TB SSD ; 2008 MBP 2.94GHz 4GB/500GB SSD
Flash is a security risk. If you want to stop so many ads, look for content blockers for each browser you use. I have AdBlock, AdGuard, and Ghostery installed on Safari, Firefox and Chrome.

I haven't used Flash Player for many years. That is not my point in the slightest. I'm saying HTML5 SUCKS for the *USER* because it's weighted so web sites can force their garbage (meaning intrusive awful ads) down your throat or deny you any service whatsoever. I'm sorry, but NONE of those ad blockers can reliably deal with the ability of web sites to detect that you are using an ad blocker and then block you again. Every time they fix a site, they find a way around it to deny you access again. That wasn't even possible before HTML 5 came about, to my knowledge. I never heard of an blocker detector before HTML 5 became commonplace and ad blockers worked nearly 100%. Now most sites either yell at you or deny access with ad blockers installed, making them WORTHLESS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
And I don't see it that way. I know it's my option to use the site or not. And I don't use sites that do that, and that is their choice.

krs

Reaction score
I'm saying HTML5 SUCKS for the *USER* because it's weighted so web sites can force their garbage (meaning intrusive awful ads) down your throat or deny you any service whatsoever. I'm sorry, but NONE of those ad blockers can reliably deal with the ability of web sites to detect that you are using an ad blocker and then block you again. Every time they fix a site, they find a way around it to deny you access again. That wasn't even possible before HTML 5 came about, to my knowledge. I never heard of an blocker detector before HTML 5 became commonplace and ad blockers worked nearly 100%. Now most sites either yell at you or deny access with ad blockers installed, making them WORTHLESS.
I find that annoying as well, however, by blocking a website's ads, you are depriving that website of a revenue stream they require to provide their content in the first place, so it was just a matter of time before ad blockers were detected.
The choice is either to not use those websites, or allow ads for those websites or sign up for a subscription if the website offers that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The choice is either to not use those websites, or allow ads for those websites or sign up for a subscription if the website offers that.

Or use a more powerful Ad Blocker. "Ka-Block!" is one such blocker. At least for now, it blocks just about everything. I wind up having to turn it off when accessing a few sites that I need to make payments, etc.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Safari 14.01 update today removes it anyway so looks like Apple beat Adobe to the punch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.