• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

memory info help - please!

E

e-RICHIE

Guest
my ibook came with 256mb of whatever it is and
i bought a "chip" thingy that adds another 256 of
whatever it is. i thought this was the guy that
helps the puter run faster or store more, or
whatever. but the ibook still is slow in some
programs - particularly my web-based email
program. when i click on "system profile", it reads:

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 256 MB

is the "extra" 256 of whatever showing up in this
or did i install it incorrectly, hence the tardy
speed on this ibook the last 2 days?

thanks for any insight.

e-RICHIE
 

muso


Retired Staff
Joined
Jan 15, 2003
Messages
4
Reaction score
16
Points
3
Location
Whangarei, New Zealand
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
No, if you installed it correctly it should display 512MB. On the other hand, I thought it should give an error beep on startup if you didn't install it correctly.
 
E

e-RICHIE

Guest
muso said:
No, if you installed it correctly it should display 512MB. On the other hand, I thought it should give an error beep on startup if you didn't install it correctly.

thanks for the quick reply.
well it did come packed with 256 and i did
undo the keyboard and add the additional
256 thingy - but the system profile states
the specs as per my original post.

if i installed it incorrectly, i assumed the
appliance would not turn on at all.

i;m on week 2 with this ibook and, lately, i've
been gettin that rotating rainbow after each
"enter", connoting a slow connect to the next
page or program i want to view.
 
W

warrenbert

Guest
Either you installed it incorrectly or it is not a compatible memory card.

Where did you buy the memory? Did it meet the minimum specifications listed in the manual?

200-pin DDR SO-DIMM
1.25 inch or smaller
PC2100 DDR 266 or faster

If you are unsure of any of the requirements or whether you installed it correctly give us some more details or just take it in to your Apple Dealer.
 
E

e-RICHIE

Guest
warrenbert said:
Either you installed it incorrectly or it is not a compatible memory card.

Where did you buy the memory? Did it meet the minimum specifications listed in the manual?

200-pin DDR SO-DIMM
1.25 inch or smaller
PC2100 DDR 266 or faster

If you are unsure of any of the requirements or whether you installed it correctly give us some more details or just take it in to your Apple Dealer.

i got it all simultaneously from pcconnection.com.
i have the invoice tucked away, so i can't verify the
tech info. i'll look in the a.m.
i can only hope they sold me the correct stuff!

thanks.
 
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
2,340
Reaction score
82
Points
48
Location
DFW
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i had a problem seating my extra RAM. it took me 3 times trying to put it in to properly get it in. keep trying until it gets seated right (assuming that it is the correct memory). you dont have to reseat everything when you turn it on because all you have to use is the track pad. after you put ijn the chip, turn on the system and go directly to the sys info. if it does not read it turn it off and reseat it. hope that helps
 
E

e-RICHIE

Guest
warrenbert said:
Either you installed it incorrectly or it is not a compatible memory card.

Where did you buy the memory? Did it meet the minimum specifications listed in the manual?

200-pin DDR SO-DIMM
1.25 inch or smaller
PC2100 DDR 266 or faster

If you are unsure of any of the requirements or whether you installed it correctly give us some more details or just take it in to your Apple Dealer.


according to the packing slip:
256mb pc2100 ddr sodimm
part # pe186005
from pcconnection.com
 
C

crisrose

Guest
muso said:
I thought it should give an error beep on startup if you didn't install it correctly.
it doesn't

it just starts up as normal.
 
P

pstauff

Guest
My guess is that you do not have the SODIMM fully inserted in the slot.
 
E

e-RICHIE

Guest
pstauff said:
My guess is that you do not have the SODIMM fully inserted in the slot.

apple help said that this line:
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
meant that the upgrade memory was, in fact, showing
up in my puter specs. i was looking at this line:
Memory: 256 MB

'not sure what to make of this now!

thanks for helping.
 
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
2,340
Reaction score
82
Points
48
Location
DFW
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
apple help lied, L2 cache is a cahe on the processor if i remember right. physical memory would be the line you are supposed to have 512Mb and not kb
 
E

e-RICHIE

Guest
fearlessfreap24 said:
apple help lied, L2 cache is a cahe on the processor if i remember right. physical memory would be the line you are supposed to have 512Mb and not kb

that's what i thought...
i will call again in the am but i also
need to go to the apple store and look
at speakers; i'll torment the folks at
the genius bar!
 
E

e-RICHIE

Guest
e-RICHIE said:
that's what i thought...
i will call again in the am but i also
need to go to the apple store and look
at speakers; i'll torment the folks at
the genius bar!

alas.
my 256 chip was not seated properly.
i've reinstalled it - and i'm showing 512mb.

thanks!
 
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
2,340
Reaction score
82
Points
48
Location
DFW
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
YEAH!!!!!! congratulations
 
P

pstauff

Guest
Yeah, that was my original reply. Funny enough, 30 mins ago, I just installed a 1GB SODIMM. I restarted and I had 256 of RAM. I checked it and it wasn't seated properly. Fixed that and now I see 1.25 GB.

e-RICHIE said:
alas.
my 256 chip was not seated properly.
i've reinstalled it - and i'm showing 512mb.

thanks!
 
Top