Mechanical Keyboard for macOS?

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone knew of a good mechanical keyboard that is good for typing as well as gaming preferably with a cherry mx red switches that is designed for the Mac ecosystem? I am starting to save up to get a new Mac, & because of my limited income I am wanting to probably save some money by using my TV as a displaying/speakers connected to an eGPU with a Mac mini. I know it’s not the best set up. But it’s a compromise to get out of the windows world. The only thing I use windows for anymore, is playing games that aren’t available on Mac. Some good examples would be the Final Fantasy games on Steam.

Thanks in Advanced:
Alice

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Okay, here is a suggestion that might shockingly be just what you want. First, mechanical keyboards with cherry MX switches aren't inexpensive, but you are trying to be frugal. I may have a perfect compromise. Apple once made a keyboard a decade or two ago that many feel was their best keyboard ever. It had those mechanical keys that had excellent feedback and feel, like cherry MX keys. You can still find those keyboards used or refurbished, but they are expensive. However, a company is making a perfect clone of that old Apple keyboard, and it's only $35!

Brand New Apple A1048 English Layout wired full size USB keyboard 658-0306 (2SB)
$35

Some folks in my user group have these keyboards and they rave about them. They say that they are especially good if you are a touch typist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don’t personally use one, but Das Keyboard is held is very high regard when it comes to these kinds of keyboards.

Matias is also well known for their mechanical keyboards for Mac.

OP
BabyFutaGrlAlice
Reaction score
I have a razor black widow ultimate I’m planning to sell to cover the cost of the new keyboard. I know it is a little odd with budget build, but I find it a much more satisfying for my typing than a laptop styled keyboard. I know why your text makes Matt keyboards but not exactly the higher end style either.

As for the Mac mini it isn’t going to be a base model. Ram I can upgrade myself, even if isn’t as Easter as older models.

3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
8GB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630
2TB SSD storage
10 Gigabit Ethernet (Nbase-T Ethernet with support for 1Gb, 2.5Gb, 5Gb, and 10Gb Ethernet using RJ‑45 connector) Accessories

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Matias is also well known for their mechanical keyboards for Mac.

+1.
I just wanted to emphasize that point. Some excellent typist friends swear by them.

And you good Canadian firm as well. ;) :) ;)

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
just wanted to emphasize that point. Some excellent typist friends swear by them.

And you good Canadian firm as well.

While it's a great keyboard, it's still a bit pricey even at the Canadian - US dollar exchange rate. ;)

The keyboard mentioned by Randy above is the one I would choose over the Matias. It should be noted though that the $35.00 price tag does not include the extra $18.50 the seller wants for postage. A bit high in my opinion. Also, the item is only available on eBay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While it's a great keyboard, it's still a bit pricey even at the Canadian - US dollar exchange rate. ;)

The keyboard mentioned by Randy above is the one I would choose over the Matias. It should be noted though that the $35.00 price tag does not include the extra $18.50 the seller wants for postage. A bit high in my opinion. Also, the item is only available on eBay.

Interesting that those are supposed to be OEM Apple keyboards, brand new. That particular one, the A1048, came out in 2005 and was only around for two years before being redesigned in 2007. One downside, if you rely on the USB hub feature of the keyboard, those ports are going to be USB 2.0.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One downside, if you rely on the USB hub feature of the keyboard, those ports are going to be USB 2.0.

Even the later model wired keyboards by Apple which contain the two USB ports are 2.0 ports. But realistically, why would you need USB 3.0 to attach a wired mouse or a printer or a flash drive? The keyboards ports are never meant to be used for charging devices anyway.

krs

Reaction score
But there are others with a lower shipping cost - like this one, shipping at $12.55

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked that one out and the shipping cost to my zip code is in fact $12.55. But it appears that the shipping cost will vary according to where you live - which makes sense.

I like that style keyboard because it has the raised keys which compliment someone who is a touch typist. Modern Apple Keyboards wired and wireless have flat keys with very little throw. Much harder to touch type.

krs

Reaction score
I just checked that one out and the shipping cost to my zip code is in fact $12.55. But it appears that the shipping cost will vary according to where you live - which makes sense.
That ebay seller is different than the one Randy posted - shipping by that seller is still $18.50
Same price by each one for a new Apple A1048 keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even the later model wired keyboards by Apple which contain the two USB ports are 2.0 ports. But realistically, why would you need USB 3.0 to attach a wired mouse or a printer or a flash drive? The keyboards ports are never meant to be used for charging devices anyway.

Because realistically, it’d be more accessible than the back of an iMac or Mac mini. Besides, my greater concern is whether or not these even are legit. These went out of production 13 years ago. Why does this seller have so many available? I would be VERY SUSPICIOUS that these are not only counterfeit, but may be designed to intentionally compromise the security of your Mac. I wouldn’t trust these. No way, no how.

krs

Reaction score
Because realistically, it’d be more accessible than the back of an iMac or Mac mini. Besides, my greater concern is whether or not these even are legit. These went out of production 13 years ago. Why does this seller have so many available? I would be VERY SUSPICIOUS that these are not only counterfeit, but may be designed to intentionally compromise the security of your Mac. I wouldn’t trust these. No way, no how.
I would not hesitate to buy from this ebay seller.
On ebay for 15 years - great feedback - 30 day return

I assume someone found a pallet load of these in the back of a warehouse - I have seen that before.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would be VERY SUSPICIOUS that these are not only counterfeit, but may be designed to intentionally compromise the security of your Mac.

Of course they are not Apple original keyboards. Didn't Randy mention that in reply #2:

However, a company is making a perfect clone of that old Apple keyboard, and it's only $35!

LOL. Anything you buy for your Apple Computer (chargers, cables, hard drives, etc) not specifically branded "Apple" could also compromise the security of your Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume someone found a pallet load of these in the back of a warehouse - I have seen that before.

My understanding from Randy's reply above that these are clones, not Apple original keyboards. Not very likely that someone is going to come across a suddenly found pallet load of old Apple Keyboards.

I trust what Randy wrote because I know he does his research before posting something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My understanding from Randy's reply above that these are clones, not Apple original keyboards. Not very likely that someone is going to come across a suddenly found pallet load of old Apple Keyboards.

I trust what Randy wrote because I know he does his research before posting something like that.

He said they are, but the eBay listing doesn‘t say they are. In fact, they have Apple‘s name all over them. I very much doubt Apple authorized someone to make clones with their name on them. I normally trust Randy also, but he got at least this detail wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would not hesitate to buy from this ebay seller.
On ebay for 15 years - great feedback - 30 day return

That‘s a pretty fair point about his rep. Looking over some of his feedback, it looks like he specializes in Apple parts. Maybe he did find a pallet somewhere.

Reaction score

Thank you! I do try to be as accurate as possible. (I spend most of my time dealing with Mac-using attorneys, and if you don't give citations or if you give inaccurate information to them, they will excoriate you!)

Those keyboards are indeed clones. Apple never made them in light blue. The originals were clear and white to match the color scheme of the Macs that were on sale when the original was offered. I suspect that subsequent Apple keyboards were redesigned more for aesthetic reasons than any other. I used my original A1048 keyboard for many years...until it broke. Darn it was a great keyboard!

These clones can be found from multiple eBay sellers, though I haven't seen them offered elsewhere. If these were genuine new old stock Apple keyboards, they would probably be three times the price!

I've heard from several users who have purchased these keyboards, and they have been so happy with them that they were practically giggly. Apparently they have the same mechanical switches as the original (rather than the mushy dome switches used on all cheap keyboards these days) and the same build quality.

As far as them potentially being a "security risk", that sounds a little far fetched to me. Has anyone ever heard of any instance where an input device was a security risk (Mac *or* Windows)?

Reaction score

Matias makes excellent keyboards. I have one that I'm using at this very moment. I love it. However, Matias keyboards tend to be overpriced for what they are.

For instance, you can get (at least if you are in the U.S.) what many folks consider the best computer keyboard *ever* for less money. And you can get it in a Macintosh version.

In the early days of computing, IBM made keyboards with a buckling spring mechanism under each key. Each key produced
an assuring sound and excellent tactile feedback when you hit the mark correctly. Most users don't know that you can still purchase a brand new version of one of these keyboards.

IBM sold the license to make those keyboards to Lexmark.
Lexmark in turn sold the license to Unicomp.

Unicomp buckling spring keyboards can still be purchased directly from Unicomp:

SpaceSaverM ($99 to $104)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.