MCC card reader

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro which does NOT have an inbuilt card reader. I have plugged in an external one but the system cannot see it. Do I need a bit of software and if so where can I find it? Any help for a pedestrian user welcomed. Blossomdeary.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

No extra software needed if it's a standard USB card reader. The card reader is not going to show up on the screen of your MacBook Pro until you insert a card in it. Also make sure you have the option to show devices selected in your Finder preferences.

And... please do not double post. We have removed your duplicate post.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hello and thank you for this. When I have had the problem, I have had the Card Reader complete with MMC inserted plugged in. The Power and SD/MMC red lights are both showing. But when I look at the Finder Sidebar, under Devices, there is only my MacBook Pro.
Ant thoughts?
(Apologies for the double posting - the MacForum site implied that I had put the first Thread in before I was properly Registered so I assumed it would not have been added)

M

MacInWin

Try removing and replacing the card. Sometimes the system doesn't see the card when it's in the device when the USB is plugged in. Removing and replacing the card seems to wake up the system to see the card.

OP
B
Reaction score
Tried removing and replacing the card and testing a different card but I still can't see anything on my desktop or in Finder Sidebar - Devices.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Tried removing and replacing the card and testing a different card but I still can't see anything on my desktop or in Finder Sidebar - Devices.
If you look in Finder preferences and select the General tab are all of the options checked there? If not, try putting a card in the reader and then checking these options one by one to see if the reader appears on the desktop. If that works try the same thing with the Sidebar tab in Finder Preferences.

OP
B
Reaction score
I've tried these ideas but to no avail. Do you think my MacBook Pro might be too old for this? It is a
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011)
running on OS X El Captain 10.11.5.

M

MacInWin

Change cables? Sounds like the cable is duff.Your MBP is certainly not too old, I have the same one and it works find with card readers.

OP
B
Reaction score
I will try a new cable but I can't get one until next week. Meanwhile, thank you all for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.